Ron two differnt scales on one board

Started by usher42, October 17, 2007, 09:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usher42

(I want to run HO and N scale on one board  5x8 canit do it? right my table is 4x 6

usher42

Correction ,that is run two different scales

taz-of-boyds

Usher42,

It seems to me you can run as many scales as you want.  Aside from what will fit on a 5x8 or 4x6.  Each scale represents it's own universe intended to represent our full size world in some way.  So I guess (to borrow from science fiction) multiple scales would be like parallel universes (never thought of that before).  You would need to decide what you want to accomplish, and how you would share the space.

In my case I am trying to model key points in a little 4 x 8 mile area in western Maryland that includes a bunch of coal mines, to local coal railroads, a narrow gauge logging railroad, a couple biggies (WM, B&O, PRR), two streetcar lines, and the West Virgina Central and Pittsburgh.  More to choose from than will fit in an affordable basement.  So I am busy trying to develop good compression of the area and still have a lot of fun.

Have fun,
Charles

usher42

i want to run HO and N scale together on a 4x6 board, is that ok

Hamish K

You want one layout, with both HO and N, together on a 4 by 6 board?

I guess it could fit, but what would it look like?  An HO layout can be fitted into 4 by 6 although it is not large, If it is to be an oval, the oval will need to run essentially around the outside. This could leave room for N gauge in the middle, but the appearance of the two together, given the size difference, would look odd, too say the least. What scale scenery and buildings would you use? Of course the N gauge track could represent narrow gauge (HON30) but this would require HON30 locos and trains.

You could build two small shelf switching layouts back to back, one HO and one N with a scenic barrier between them so that only one was seen from each side. I guess the same approach could give a small oval N layout with a narrow (1 foot wide) HO switching layout (scenically hidden) on one side. Two ovals would mean something like 4 by 4 for the HO and 4 by 2 for the N, with a scenic division in between. 4 by 4 is small for an HO layout, essentially little more than a circle. A basic train set oval might fit, but little expansion outside the oval would be possible.

I recall seeing an article about a layout that had HO in the foreground and N in the background, representing the track in the distance, a forced perspective effect. I don't recall the size of the layout. This would require  only the front part  of the layout to be visible from the viewing side (HO appearing behind the N would destroy the forced perpective effect). I suspect that this would be difficult to do and make it look at all realistic, although it has been done. Whether 4 by 6 is larger enough for a convincing result I don't know.

Just my thoughts

Hamish

taz-of-boyds

Hamish's discussion gives me some ideas...

One interesting way to divide up the space might be to have the HO in the middle, and the N around the outside.  (I am working in N, though it seemed to me it would be hard to fit much HO in this space.)

It seems to me it might be interesting to fit a small mining or logging HO railroad in the middle 5' by 2' 6" space.  And put the N around the outside with 6" on the back and sides, and 1' in the front.

The HO would use small locomotives and cars, and would include point to point switchback operations.  All the small rolling stock and loco's would fit in the space.

The N scale could be more of a mainline with a bit of a yard in the front and a loop around the back with some sidings here and there for some variety.

This is in the parallel universe mode.

Sounds like fun,
Charles

Terry Toenges

Your railroad is your fantasy. Do you want it to please yourself or to please others?
Or both? This is one hobby where you can "Have it your way".
I realize you're not doing a Christmas layout, but who says everything has to be totally accurate and in one scale? If it pleases you, go for it.
I'm happy with mine and others who see it are pleased as well.
http://www.sarget.com/trains/xmlayout-06/xm-06-a40c.JPG
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.

Hamish K

Terry's layout looks better than I would have expected. It does appear, at least in the photo, to create something of a forced perspective. The higher smaller scales behind do give the impression of being further away than they really are, this helps one accept the scene. I note that the tracks are hidden at the rear so that from the front you don't see a larger train behind a smaller one. 

So something along those lines is a possibility. Also I agree that, if it looks OK to you it is OK, whatever others, including myself, might think.

Hamish