News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO Engine break-in

Started by Rlfbeadle, October 18, 2007, 09:55:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rlfbeadle

What is the proper procedure to beak-in a new engine.  I recently received a new Bachmann engine and want to break it in properly.
Harley/Trainman

GN.2-6-8-0

You don't say what type of locomotive' is it a steam locomotive or a deeeesiel ;D
Rocky Lives

Rlfbeadle

It is a steam locomotive. I have lubricated the gears on it since the company didn't put much lub on the main gear.  I didn't know there was a difference in the break-in procedures for steam and diesel.
Harley/Trainman

GN.2-6-8-0

No difference in the breaking in itself what i was referring to is the difference in in the lubing before hand,Relubing the gearbox which you've done is the 1st step. On steam locomotives there are multiple points that need lubing.
gearbox's should be lubed with Labelle's no.106 plastic compatible grease
Motor bearing's ,  side rods main rod's & crosshead's  and axle bearing's  should have a very small drop of Labelles no.108 light oil applied .
and don't forget the axles on lead and trailing truck along with tender wheel bearing's
Once this is done run the locomotive at 1/4 speed for 30 mins in each direction' raising it gradully to no more than half speed ,for the same amount of time .
This should do for breaking in a Bachmann steamer,one thing' a few of the newer Bachmann's i noticed the motor's are really buried in the superstucture making access quite difficult, its possible the motor bearings on these may have sealed bearing that don't require oiling , Jump in here on this if you wish Bachmann!!

Heres hoping you enjoy your new steamer and keep in mind that Bachmann service if needed is 2nd to none. ;D
Rocky Lives

Rlfbeadle

GM 2-6-8-0

Thanks for you advice.  I hope it helps.  Iam currently building a new layout and moving to DCC.  I tried running the engine after lubing on a DC 18" oval and in reverse it ran smoothly, but going forward it was jerky.  The engine is a Class J 4-8-4 and I know it is designed to run on 22" radius min.  Could the jerky be caused by the DC?  It also did it on straight track portions of the oval.
Harley/Trainman

richG

I run my Specdtrum 4-4-0 forward for about 30 minutes and reverse for 30 minutes at 1/3 throttle. I run NCE DCC. It has a SoundTraxx Micro-Tsunami and speaker I installed. Much better speed control.
Check the brake shoes at the drivers if you experience unusual operation. I had to use a Xacto knife to gently pry the brake shoe away from the driver.

Rich

Rlfbeadle

Rich

Thanks for your info.

How do you like your NCE DCC?  I am thinking of getting the NCE Power Pro.

I do not have a DCC system now.  I was trying to just run the Class J on a 18" DC oval and was experiencing the difficulty.

I see by your Profile, you were born in 1941.  Isn't it fun getting old?  I refuse to grow up.

Thanks again
Harley/Trainman

richG

Quote from: Rlfbeadle on October 20, 2007, 09:26:17 PM
Rich

Thanks for your info.

How do you like your NCE DCC?  I am thinking of getting the NCE Power Pro.

I do not have a DCC system now.  I was trying to just run the Class J on a 18" DC oval and was experiencing the difficulty.

I see by your Profile, you were born in 1941.  Isn't it fun getting old?  I refuse to grow up.

Thanks again

I retired Aug. 2006 and I love it. To be honest, the only other DCC system I have used is the MRC 2000. I returned to a local club after five year absence and they were using the NCE Power Pro so I bought the Power Cab for home. There is a NCE Yahoo group. Free to join.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NCE-DCC/
There is a lot of data in the group Files and Photos sections.
If you use any SoundTraxx decoders there is a Yahoo group.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/soundtraxx/?yguid=44628248
Check to Files and Photos sections.

Cheers

Rich

Rlfbeadle

Rich

I retired in March of this year.  I am enjoying it and catching up on a lot of neglected work around the house.  Living in Phoenix, you don't get much done out side from June to October because of the heat.  However, I don't have to shovel anything in the winter.  Just ride my Harley.

I realy meant I am interested in getting the Power Cab and yes I well probably use some Soundtraxx decoders.  Do you need the smart booster for the Power Cab to boost the power up from 2 amps?

I'll pay a visit to the sites you suggested.

Thanks again.

Ralph
Harley/Trainman

richG

HI Ralph

Did you get my PM?

Rich