disassembly of 4449 engine for lubrication

Started by gsmorgansen, November 09, 2014, 12:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gsmorgansen

I have a Bachmann 4449 engine that I want to lubricate.  How do I go about it and what lubricants should I use?

Greg Morgansen

jbrock27

For gears, I like to use fishing reel lube (grease) found at places like K-mart that has PTFE and is safe on plastic.  It is called Super Reel Grease.  I like it bc it is not as expensive as the stuff marketed for the same use, even though it is the same stuff.   For oil, I have used Labelle oil as well as what the hobby store carries that is similar to Labelle's line of products.  The bottle has a metal "needle" applicator which helps to apply it in tight spaces.  I use the oil on metal parts like bearings, axles, motor shafts .
Keep Calm and Carry On

gsmorgansen

jbrock27

You are welcome. 
For dissembly, did you go to the "Product Reference" page on this site to see a blow up of the loco that tells you where screws are and so forth?  I take it nothing (literature) came with your loco?
Keep Calm and Carry On

gsmorgansen

I found a site called HOseeker.net.  It has diagrams for hundreds of engines and cars made by quite a few manufacturers.

Greg

Doneldon

Quote from: gsmorgansen on November 09, 2014, 11:13:03 PM
I found a site called HOseeker.net.  It has diagrams for hundreds of engines and cars made by quite a few manufacturers. Greg

Greg-

Now there's a resource we should all add to our favorites! Thank you.

-- D

jbrock27

I have had that site bookmarked for some time now.  A good resource for sure.
Keep Calm and Carry On