News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

track problems

Started by sooner49, December 01, 2014, 09:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sooner49

I am having a track problem.  I have a switch that is driving you crazy.  It is doing what I want to call "splitting the switch."  With switch set to go left ( I physically check it )  the loco will go right.  the polarity of the track is correct,  in fact the right siding is dead ( turned off).  I can not get to go the left track.. Thanks for the help

jbrock27

It's not driving me crazy... :D

Are the points of the switch moving as the loco runs through the turnout (switch)? 
I suggest you research here and online, the components (anatomy) of a turnout (switch) to help you understand how all the components work, then typical problems, then common corrections.  This will help you tremendously for future problem solving.  GOOGLE is your ally.
What is the maker of this turnout?
Keep Calm and Carry On

AGSB

You may have to file the point down some so that it is not so blunt and then the wheel of the loco will not "split the point" and force it open. Another option is to carefully file a notch in the rail that the point comes up against so that it will fit further into the rail, again so that the loco wheels will not force the point open.

Trainman203

And make sure that there isn't some little piece of crud down in there that keeps the switch point from solidly meeting the stock rail.  It does not take much at all, compressed air will get it out.

I know, just finished working for a half hour on a switch that kept splitting an engine.  Tried one fix after another.  It turned out to be a combination of a molecular piece of ballast lodged down in there and a (very,very,very,very) slightly sagging point.

Man.  Maintenance drives me nuts.  1/2 hour down the drain coulda been operating.

jbrock27

Something tell me TM is not a big fan of maintenance... :D
Keep Calm and Carry On

Doneldon

Jim-

I've noticed more and more of this over the last couple of years. I think there's an expectation that everything will work flawlessly right out of the box and an under appreciation of the need for adjusting and debugging model trains. It's certainly true that models are more trouble-free than in years past but troubleshooting and fine tuning are still needed, at least with the smaller scales. It makes me wonder if we should suggest that new, casual model railroaders stick to O-scale or large scale.
                                                     -- D

Trainman203

In reply to Doneldon and Brock....... Talking about maintenance .....

I started actual model railroading in 1961, Lionel tinplate before that.  I've worked on more crummy engines than I care to remember, trying to make those die cast lumps of lead that sort of looked like steam engines work right.  I've filed more switch points than carter had little pills, and regauged enough track to go to California.  Yes Brock I've had enough "maintenance".  My layout , after a lot of troubleshooting,  actually is pretty derailment free now, it was a surprise when 2-8-0 no. 185 started splitting a previously trouble free switch.

Actually the Bach Mans engines are pretty trouble free.  I've got at least one of nearly all the non articulated steam engines.  The only ones I ever had problems with were the decapods.  After learning their weaknesses , I turned 3 of them them into my best switchers.

Back to switch problems... Sooner, did you see if a little piece of stuff got wedged in your switch points?  I would put good money it's either that or the point is bent or got a blunt end.

jbrock27

I tend to agree w/you Doc.

than carter had little pills-LOL! That's one you don't hear much anymore.

Yea, So Soon how about getting back to all us helpful sorts and tell us what you have done and what you have found out??
Keep Calm and Carry On

Trainman203

Hesitant to get off thread Brock, I was out of model railroading for 41 years for every bad reason possible.  Got back in 8 years ago and am building my first "real" layout.  Still making lots of mistakes.  I could start a new thread with them.  But it's turming out pretty good, a 1945 MoPac all steam branchline like the one back home that's now long gone.  Scenery about half done.  Structures mostly done.  Layout takes 25 or so cars and 3 engines comfortably .  I have 35 engines and nearly 400 cars  and still buying, like the rest of us, don't know when to stop.

The bach man will think we've strayed too far from topic.  It can continue somewhere else. Maybe I'll call it "what I wish I'd done, now that I know better."

jbrock27

TM, no worries, people go off topic all the time.  When it gets bad, don't worry, we'll hear from the Overlords.

Sounds great, what you are doing!   And it always seems to go slower than most of us would like.   

...like the rest of us, don't know when to stop.  I know, isn't that compulsion just incredible?!  Very difficult to understand or explain but so often is the case.  I'll add, that's a lot of locos and rolling stock !
Keep Calm and Carry On