Scratchbuilding a British GWR 6100 class 2-6-2T locomotive

Started by Stryker, November 10, 2014, 12:35:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tac

Quote from: Stryker on November 12, 2014, 08:02:21 AM
Hi Tac,
Thank You in advance for Your help as well as Your local live steamers.   I've been trying to find pictures of the interior of 6013, but to date had no luck what so ever.  If, by chance You are able to get some photographs of 6013's cabin/( footplate?) that You could post, I'd be extremely grateful.  Right now, so to speak, I am looking on the internet to see what the terrain for a GWR Branch line looks like.  I've seen far too many Rail Road layouts supposedly representing the Middlewest of the U.S. that do not look like the builder checked his/her geology for the area supposedly being modeled.   I refuse to insult my fellow modelers in the U.K. by doing that to them!

Tac, might I please impose upon You and Your friends to let me know which books that You know of, over there that might help me to duplicate the geology of the GWR's branchlines?
Again, Thank You in advance,
Sincerely,

Stryker

Well, that's going to be pretty difficult to model in the scale you are looking to emulate.  The reason is that the 61XX locos were designed for fast-accelerating urban commuter train service around London.....they all spent 99% of their entire existence within thirty miles of the centre of London, which is, as a reminder, about fifty miles across.........the local suburbs of the London area are still pretty busy built-up places, nothing at all like the bucolic landscape that you imagine.

I'll have a look for you, but be prepared for some substantial upset...rural branchlines were the stomping ground of the smaller 14XX - a cute-looking 0-4-2 that usually hauled an auto-coach so that it could be driven from each end at terminus stations that had no turntable facility.  Turning Y's are virtually unheard of in this country, where space is at a premium.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

Stryker

Thanks  Tac.
I appreciate the info.  In fact, it will make things easier. :)   I'll have to look for the o-4-2.   I am still looking to make the large scale 2-6-2 for outdoors.   The smaller loco will make things ( once I have it) even more fun to model indoors.

Cheers,
Laary
Stryker

tac

Larry, my pak Mike smith here is making up a CD of a bunch of pics of the so-called 'large Prairie' [bigger drive wheels - the smaller 61XX had small drivers for fast acceleration on commuter service].

I'll airmail it to you when I get it, OK?

I'll also email you details of the extant Gauge 1 models of these locos, as they are not made by Bachmann.

Best

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

Stryker

Thanks Tac,
I look fwd to it :).  BTW, I just got Your P.M.s    I have some urgent business to attend to ( doing dishes for my Sick Wife( Flu virus) and a couple of errands to do) and then I'll write You back.

For Now, Cheers,
Stryker ( Larry)
Stryker