Bachmann models extra detail parts

Started by iamthedoctornotwho, November 10, 2014, 12:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iamthedoctornotwho

Hi
Sorry if this is a naïve question but I am pretty new to the hobby.  I have just purchased a Bachmann steam engine (British Rail Patriot class Royal Signals) which came with a bag of small plastic parts to add detail to the model.  Do these need to be glued on or should they 'snap' fit? If they require gluing, which type of glue do you recommend? Thanks in advance. Carl

Doneldon

Carl-

It depends. Some detail parts snap into place but others need some glue. You can pretty much tell which technique you need by test fitting things. It's rarely a problem to use glue when it isn't truly needed as long as the glue is used sparingly and with care.

As for type of glue, I recommend one of the liquid glues designed for styrene as that's the material which is most frequently encountered. Their bottles often have a small brush attached to the cap but it will be too big for tiny parts. For that you might want to try a piece of thin but stiff wire or a tiny paint brush. (Make sure the brush has real bristles; liquid glues will melt some of the synthetics.) Better yet is a tool with two pieces of tiny piano wire held closely together. They will pick up the liquid and put it where you need it as long as you work quickly because these glues dry very fast. You can easily make one of these if you can't locate one at a hobby or craft store. Testors liquid glue has a tiny stainless steel tube for an applicator. This works very well but practice a little before getting it near things you value. The tube is so tiny that even a gentle squeeze can burp out more than you want, potentially damaging your model.

Remember that styrene glues "weld" parts together. That means they dissolve a bit of each surface to be joined, melting them into a single piece as they cure. Viscous glues in tubes do the same thing but they cure more slowly. They are also hard to use on tiny details because it's impossible to avoid having too much glue on a tiny assembly pin. Glue from behind, if possible, and let capillary action pull the liquid glue into the mounting hole. Warning: liquid glues craze and distort all styrene surfaces with which they come into contact so be very careful with it. It will also damage most finished and some painted wood.

Welcome to model railroading and this board. I think you'll find a wealth of information here as well as some friendly people.

-- D

iamthedoctornotwho

Great stuff.  Thank you Doneldon very helpful.
Cheers
Carl