Easy evening project - mogul cosmetic upgrades

Started by Trainman203, November 10, 2014, 08:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainman203

The original mogul is on the right, the upgraded one is on the left.  Blackened the running gear, whistle and bell.  Added a pilot deck.  Added a headlight visor made from a black plastic soda straw.

The pilot deck is a necessity for crew access  from the running board to the pilot.  The visor, which covers the top of the headlight, bulks up the undersized headlight and gives the engine more of a southwestern road appearance.

Eventually will replace the bell , add a whistle, and cab window awnings, and convert these engines to oil burners.

rogertra

No photos.

Hint, if you "Preview" your post and do not see photos, then the photos are not working.

Cheers

Roger T.

Trainman203

rogertra

Quote from: Trainman203 on November 11, 2014, 09:33:02 PM
I already knew, gotta get "photobucket."

OK, looking forward to seeing what you have done as I want do also upgrade the details on my two 2-6-0s.

Cheers

Roger T.

Trainman203

It's not really much Roger.  It's a headlight visor, a pilot deck, and blackening of the running gear and details.

The visor is cut from a black soda straw of the right diameter.  It actually extends back over the entire headlight top and accordingly makes the really undersized headlight a little bulkier and better looking. It covers the number boards on the side but that's ok, they are really undersized too.  I'm going to make some better scaled ones to install on the sides later on.

Have to make myself figure out photobucket.

rogertra

Quote from: Trainman203 on November 12, 2014, 06:33:57 PM
It's not really much Roger.  It's a headlight visor, a pilot deck, and blackening of the running gear and details.

The visor is cut from a black soda straw of the right diameter.  It actually extends back over the entire headlight top and accordingly makes the really undersized headlight a little bulkier and better looking. It covers the number boards on the side but that's ok, they are really undersized too.  I'm going to make some better scaled ones to install on the sides later on.

Have to make myself figure out photobucket.

I still look forward to seeing what you've done.   :)

BTW, Photobucket is dead easy, shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers

Roger T.

Trainman203

Ok I got the picture in a photobucket account.  I can't figure out how to get it into a post now.

Saved1

Quote from: Trainman203 on November 12, 2014, 09:06:10 PM
Ok I got the picture in a photobucket account.  I can't figure out how to get it into a post now.

i sent you a pm about it, hope it helps :)

rogertra

Quote from: Trainman203 on November 12, 2014, 09:06:10 PM
Ok I got the picture in a photobucket account.  I can't figure out how to get it into a post now.

There are two ways to do this, here's one way and I'll tell you the other once you've mastered this method.

Go to your Photobucket page where the photo is located.

Look underneath the photo you want to post.

Underneath the photo is a list of links.  The fifth one down is marked "IMG"

Left click on that link (It should turn blue), now right click and select "Copy"

You have now copied the link.

Come to Bachmann, start a post and in the body of the post, where you want the photo to appear, right click and select "Paste".

A URL will appear in your post.

Click on the "Preview" button, lower down on this page and see if your photo shows.  It should.

Go back to your composition pane if you want to add more photos or text.

Once you're done, hit the "Post" button as usual.

Dead easy.   :)

You end up with a photo: -

Cheers

Roger T.

Trainman203

None of that sounds familiar.  I think I downloaded a greeting card site of some kind.  I went crazy trying to make it work. Went to some how to use photobucket site and my so called photobucket account didn't look anything like what they showed , it was almost all greeting card sales stuff.    I think I got into some bogus web site, managed to delete it.

If it takes more than two or three steps it's too complicated for me.  I'm too old for computers, always have been. I used to be an architect and a good one too,  computer drafting ran me out of the business.

This forum is about as difficult as I can deal with computer wise.  I'll have to  get a kid to set up my photobucket eventually and get some  pictures of my 1945 short line put up somehow.

Trainman203

I also forgot to say that I'm on an iPad and can't right click.

Trainman203

Trainman203

Here is the mogul with the headlight visor and the pilot deck

Here are the modified and un modified to compare

Still need to add new bell, whistle and cab window awnings.

rogertra

Like the mods, especially the pilot deck and what you've done to the headlight certainly is an improvement over the original dinky thing.

Can you explain what and how you did the modifications?

Adding cab window awnings is easy, I've already done that to my two using Evergreen strip styrene.

However, the most noticeable detail missing are the boiler bands.  Not quite sure how to handle those without messing up the boiler barrel with excess glue.  I'll have to give that some serious thought before I plunge into the mod.

And congratulations in figuring out how to post photos.   ;D

Cheers

Roger T.