News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

im just a grandmother, please help!

Started by RhondaBr5466, January 02, 2015, 01:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RhondaBr5466

We bought the Echo Valley Express, HO Scale for our grandson. We followed the set up instructions. The train does not work! The power comes on on the controller and blinks but the train does not move at all. There is no sound other than the train resting sound. No forward or reverse. The buttons on the controller all light up but do not function. We watched a set up video and at the beginning it shows that a magnet is to be connected underneath the track? We did not get a magnet and no mention of a magnet in the instructions. Can anyone advise me?

Wuddog

Hi. I'm pretty new here myself. I had a similar problem. I'm thinking if you're getting sound, you're getting power, but not enough. Make sure all your track connections are properly connected and tight. Also be sure you're power wires to the track are tightly connected at both ends.

Len

The magnet is normally for using the uncoupling feature of the EZ-Mate couplers.

If lights are blinking, your controller may be in programming or function mode. Pressing the 'Stop' button should get it out of programming mode and back to normal mode. If that doesn't clear the blinking, press the funtion button to exit function mode.

If the blinking lights stopped, press the '3' button to select address 3, which is the default address from the factory. Turn the throttle up, and the loco should move.

The EZ-Command manual has detailed instructions on how to use the function feature to trigger different sounds.

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Irbricksceo

Also worth mentioning, if only the power button is blinking and it is blinking really fast with a chirping noise, that indicates a short. Len's Ideas are more likely, just tossing that out there.
Modeling NYC in N

Len

Doh! Forgot to mention the short possibility.

Quick way to find out. Take the train completely off the track, and make sure there are no pins, needles, etc., laying across the track. If that stops the blinking, there's a short.

If taking the train off stopped the blinking, put the loco on the track by itself to see if it's the problem. If not, try the cars one at a time until you find the one causing the problem.

Let us know what you find.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

It wouldn't be the wheels on the cars. More likely the wheels on the engine or tender. I know it wouldn't be the wheels on the freight cars aren't the cause of a possible short as I purchased this set for my grandfather for Christmas and the wheels on the freight cars are plastic. Might be that one of the tender trucks is backwards. I have seen that as a common issue with new trains not working right away here on the forums. Hope the info helps and that you figure out the problem and get the train working.