Easy evening project - mogul cosmetic upgrades

Started by Trainman203, November 10, 2014, 08:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doneldon

T203-

You can use narrow strips of paper to represent boiler bands. Being flexible and porous, you can put the glue on the backs of the bands and just apply them -- no muss, no fuss. You can even paint your paper before applying the bands so you don't have to worry about slopping paint all over. I suggest something like construction paper or medium card stock so your bands are clearly visible. And -- this is important -- cut the bands with a straightedge and a razor blade on a hard surface like a piece of glass. That will ensure that your bands stay the same width.
                                                                                                                                                                    -- D

rogertra

Quote from: Doneldon on December 08, 2014, 01:41:40 PM
T203-

You can use narrow strips of paper to represent boiler bands. Being flexible and porous, you can put the glue on the backs of the bands and just apply them -- no muss, no fuss. You can even paint your paper before applying the bands so you don't have to worry about slopping paint all over. I suggest something like construction paper or medium card stock so your bands are clearly visible. And -- this is important -- cut the bands with a straightedge and a razor blade on a hard surface like a piece of glass. That will ensure that your bands stay the same width.
                                                                                                                                                                    -- D

Excellent suggestions.

Cheers

Roger T.

Trainman203

The headlight visor is a piece of black plastic soda straw, close to the headlight diameter, which meant I didn't have to preform anything or bend it much.  I started with a piece the length of the visor, plus the front to rear depth of the headlight housing..  Covering the headlight top gives the headlight enough of a bigger radius to detect visually, plus enough area for cement to hold it on good.  Then I cut off the bottom half and let it cover the headlight side number boards which are too small anyway, I will eventually make some styrene replacements.  Lastly I trimmed the radius edges of the visor and put it on with a small touch of Walthers goo.  I did find it needs painting, the headlight is so bright on these engines especially compared to the Ten Wheelers, that it shows through when turned on.

The headlight visor trick is so successful I am thinking about doing it to my consolidations to give them more of an MP look.

The pilot deck is just a piece of black styrene I had, notched slightly to fit around the bottoms of the smoke box supports.  You can buy styrene check-plate material which would work here too.  When you look at the way the engine comes, the fireman can't step down from the running board to the pilot, someone wasn't thinking when designing this model.  I do think I made the deck a little big and might cut it down a little.

The boiler bands are further than I want to go with this job.

Anyone notice the AT&S on the side of the cab?  Easy fix for one of my roads, the "Arkansas, Texas and Southern."  It could be the "Alabama, Tennessee and Southern" as well.

electrical whiz kid

RogerT;
There was a great article in MR some years back, concerning boilers.  This was in the days when Linn Westcott was at the helm, so you'll have to really dive in.
RIch C.

rogertra

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on December 09, 2014, 03:38:35 PM
RogerT;
There was a great article in MR some years back, concerning boilers.  This was in the days when Linn Westcott was at the helm, so you'll have to really dive in.
RIch C.

Probably in my "files" somewhere Rich, I'll have to go hunting.

Thanks for the tip.

Cheers

Roger T.

Trainman203

Since we are talking about the mogul, see the above pictures again.