News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Iron Horse Train Set

Started by LayLow, November 12, 2014, 01:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LayLow

All,
recevied  a "86 piece" Bachmann Iron Horse Train Set,  Was wondering what year that it came out and what do I need to do as far as maintenance, cleaning/ care for etc. Will be setting this up for my grandson to enjoy. It came with NO instructions, can I find them somewhere?  Any help will be appreciated. Thanks 

ACY

Your set is likely about 25 years old. There are no instructions for the set anywhere online that I know of, the only way to get them would likely be to buy another of the same set that includes the instructions. This is an HO scale set, so do not set it up on the carpet or floor as doing so will damage the locomotive to the point it will not run anymore. Basically all you have to do is assemble the track to form an oval and hook up the power source and place the locomotive with rolling stock on track. Clean the track periodically with either a brite-boy or track cleaning fluid or alcohol, do not use sandpaper or anything else that is too abrasive on the track as doing so will allow for the accumulation of dirt on the rails. You can periodically use plastic compatible lubricants on the locomotive as needed and periodically clean the wheels as needed. That is about everything you need to know.

LayLow

Thanks, Forgot to ask, what's the best way to set the track up? Caulk to plywood?

ACY

I would either use cork, homasote or a similar material for the roadbed and use n scale track nails although you can use ho track nails. You could also use other methods it just depends on your personal preference and what materials you have available.

Jerrys HO

Acy,
I could be wrong (would have to go check mine) but that set may have come with EZ track.
If so just caulk it down to your plywood.
I don't think that set is that old either but could and may still have been in production up to just a couple of years ago.
I believe the engine is a 0-6-0 and has Rio Grande on the tender.

Jerrys HO

Wrong info, mine was the Iron King

ACY

Quote from: Jerrys HO on November 12, 2014, 06:05:30 PM
Wrong info, mine was the Iron King
Yep haha, this set definitely did not come with EZ-track, it wasn't invented yet when the set in question was in production. The Iron Horse includes standard steel snap track, a trestle bridge, a Santa Fe 0-6-0, 3 freight cars and a Santa Fe caboose. There are also probably a few small accesories.

LayLow

Thanks for the infomation. I'm sure that he'll enjoy it. That grandson loves trains!

Doneldon

LL-

Think long and hard before using Homasote. Although it has been a traditional material for model train layouts for many decades, it can be problematic because it really swells and shrinks with humidity changes. That can play hob with your track.
                                                                                                                                                          -- D

ebtnut

I've really never had much of an issue with Homasote and humidity.  I've had more problems with the punky stuff they call lumber at most big-box home improvement stores these days.  I think their lumber might have been the kiln for maybe 10 minutes.  I've bought 1x2's and 2x3's that were straight in the store but go back to use them a couple weeks later and they are doing a great imitation of an airplane prop. 

Desertdweller

I've had good results by using blue foam insulation board over 1/2" plywood framed with 1x2's.  EZ track is glued directly to the foam using white glue.

Using two layers of foam insulation allows one or both layers to be cut away for scenery relief.  Be sure to use the dense foam (the pink stuff may work, too) but avoid the white beaded stuff.  That crumbles apart.

Les

Ken G Price

Quote from: Desertdweller on November 20, 2014, 08:53:43 PM
I've had good results by using blue foam insulation board over 1/2" plywood framed with 1x2's.  EZ track is glued directly to the foam using white glue.

Using two layers of foam insulation allows one or both layers to be cut away for scenery relief.  Be sure to use the dense foam (the pink stuff may work, too) but avoid the white beaded stuff.  That crumbles apart.

Les

I use the white foam as it is free and comes in many thicknesses. There is two types of the white foam, loose and dense. The dense foam is used for packing, as what TV or computers or pieces of furniture is packed in. Many stores just throw it away. Bigger pieces are used in store displays and tossed when not needed any more.

With the size of my layout I am sure I saved a few hundred dollars. And, yes there is some mess, but having a vac handy takes car of any mess. I all so used an electric carving knife for some of the cutting.

If you have the money, then get the pink or blue dense foam as suggested.
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/