How to replace blown bulb in Spectrum passenger car?

Started by Dan S., November 10, 2014, 02:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan S.

Hello Bachmann Folks,
I just purchased a couple of 72' HO Spectrum heavy weight passenger cars (observation and diner car) these 2 passenger cars are in very nice condition, and purchased at a very reasonable price, or so I think! but my observation car has a blown interior light. Does anyone know how to replace this light bulb and were might I find a replacement? I would appreciate step by step instructions as I would very much hate to destroy this very nice passenger car. Thanks Dan.
PS. would the Bachmann company fix if I send back and pay reasonable repair fee?

ACY

As I recall any bulb with the correct amperage, voltage, etc will suffice. The bulb is inside a clear plastic piece. Simply remove the bulb and replace it with a new one. You can leave the existing wiring to the bulb. If you are not the first owner or if you are and it has been 30 days (I think), then it would not be eligible for repair or replacement.

Dan S.

Thanks ACY,
But how do you get inside the passenger car to perform needed replacement, I have tried to separate the bottom from top but it seems like it is either molded together or glued? Any instructions so no damage occurs? Thanks Dan

ACY

Quote from: Dan S. on November 11, 2014, 02:44:13 PM
Thanks ACY,
But how do you get inside the passenger car to perform needed replacement, I have tried to separate the bottom from top but it seems like it is either molded together or glued? Any instructions so no damage occurs? Thanks Dan
You access the interior by removing the roof if I recall correctly.

the Bach-man

Dear Dan,
The roof and windows are a one-piece casting.  The tabs that hold it in place show through the floor on the bottom.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Dan S.

Thanks Bach-man,
So I would assume these pieces are also glued together? so using some finesse would be very important? Thanks Dan. Can I send back to Bachmann service center and happily pay for bulb replacement?

the Bach-man

Dear Dan,
No, they're not glued.  Press on the tabs and the roof/window unit will slide up and out.Have fun!
the Bach-man

Dan S.

Thanks again Bach-man! I will give it a shot tonight.

Dan S.

Thanks Bach-man,
Your instructions were exact and the two pieces shell of the passenger car pulled apart just fine. I was able to get into the interior and remove the bulb assembly very simply, now the bigger question is where do I find replacement bulb assembly part # 6603??? anyone with any info on locating a couple of these bulb assemblies for Spectrum heavy weight 72' passenger cars would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for the help, Dan.

ACY

Just replace the bulb, you don't need the whole assembly although you can likely order it online here from the parts department.