Trouble Installing Decoder in DCC Ready Light Mountain.

Started by MDR, November 14, 2014, 05:27:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDR

I have been trying to install a Digitrax sound decoder in DCC ready Light Mountain I just purchased.   I have double checked all the connections to make sure there are no solder bridges between the solder points on the pc board, but the decoder still is detecting a short circuit and shutting down motor control.   All the sound functions and the headlight work fine but ther is no motor control.   I checked all the connections on the pc board and the the wiring harness but can not fine the short.   Does anybody have any idea where else I should look.

Mike C

I had a problem on mine also . It was a first run loco though, there was no board in the tender, the decoder went into the boiler. Anyway I found out that the solder on the motor wires was also touching the frame on both wires . Once I carved a small amount of the solder off everything worked fine . Those boilers are a real B*%$h to get off and on though.

gatrhumpy

You need to keep checking. Part of the pickup is touching the motor controls somehow.

MDR

I found the short.  The solder connections on the plug for the tender were sloppy, the wires for the negative motor connection and the left pick up were making contact.  I have removed the plug and circuit board form the tender, so I could hard wire the decoder harness to the wires from the locomotive.  Unfortunately the plug short damaged the decoder, so it has to go back to Digitrax for replacement.