Trouble shooting rolling stock interior light

Started by cazart!, December 26, 2007, 10:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cazart!

One of the passenger cars from a Roaring Ridge set seems to have developed a short.  When the car is on the track, the engine will not run and a faint buzz can be heard from the car (at the wheels).  The interior light does not come on.

I have taken apart the trucks and put them together again and inspected the car for any obvious shorts, but no luck.  If I disconnect the trucks (either) from the black wiring, the train will run, but obviously the light does not come on.

Any suggestions for a fix?

Hope all are enjoying the holidays.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

the Bach-man

Dear Mike,
Try rotating one truck 180 degrees. On each truck, make sure both insulating bushings are on the same side of the truck.
Good luck!
the Bach-man

cazart!

Thanks for the suggestion, but no luck.  (There actually is a small cam in the bushing preventing a 180 rotation.)  I checked

I ended up disassembling the entire car and putting it back together again looking for a cause, and still no luck.

I may try a new set of trucks all together if the hobby store has them.

Tomcat

Hi there !
Did you check the Wheelsets?

Well, make sure, the isolation (there is a small lid of the isolating plastic centre to be seen arround the axle when looking from the inside of the wheelsets) - make sure they´re the same within the bogie !!!
Hope, this description isn´t too cryptic...

Happy New Year to you all!
Tom

cazart!

Thanks for that!  I'll take a closer look and see if I can decipher what you mean.

Happy New Year.

Tomcat

Just let me verify what I meant: The wheels look different on every side,
just make sure the isolation of the wheels within one bogie are on the same side.

by the way: You can get the bogies off. Pull gently and very, very carefull.
You can get them off, so you can probably turn the bogie round which may solve the problem, though...

Let me know if I can be of some help.
Kind regards, Tom

br549

My interior lights flicker. No matter how clean  the contacts or track.
I have learned to live with it but it would be nice to resolve the issue. :)

kendoitall

Quote from: br549 on December 31, 2007, 05:51:44 PM
My interior lights flicker. No matter how clean  the contacts or track.
I have learned to live with it but it would be nice to resolve the issue. :)

One old method is to connect all passenger cars lights in parallel with each other using small quick-connect plugs. With that many wheels on the track, flickering lights should be a thing of the past.

Ken
Standards? STANDARDS? We don't need no stinking standards!