trying to build the ez track elevated figure 8

Started by johnnyreb0706, November 16, 2014, 06:23:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnyreb0706

I'm frustrated. Recently purchased a Bachmann Norfolk Southern train set for my 8 yr old son.  I bought the 18 piece elevated kit to make the figure 8 layout thinking it would have some sort of track plans in the box but to no avail.  Can anyone help out?  We purchased a few extra pieces just by guessing what we need but I'm not sure. We have 7 straight pieces and a powered straight piece along with 16 of the curved 18inch pieces. I built a table due to room constraints I cut it from the 4'x8' sheet to 4'x6'.  Any help would be appreciated. It's 40 miles to the hobby shop and his birthday is tomorrow. I'm trying to get it up and running. Thanks.

Hunt

Part A connect 9, 18" curves, forming part of a circle
Part B connect 9, 18" curves, forming part of a circle
Part C connect 4, 9 straights forming 36" straight
Part D connect 3, 9" straights and the 9" straight terminal rerailer forming 36" straight

Form an X by laying Part C on Part D

Connect Part A and Part B to the X formed by Part C and Part D

Now add the piers.

This requires a 4' x 8'

jward

if you are restricted to 4x6 then you may want to consider a twice around over and under instead of a figure 8. you'd still be able to use your pier set .

the top layout shows the absolute minimum area needed for a figure 8, slightly more than 4x6. the lower layout shows the over and under configuration which can be built in whatever area you have available by adding or subtracting straight track sections along the top and bottom. I have a layout similar to this built in a 4.5x4 space. in both cases, the curves are standard 18r setions. I strongly advise against using the sharper curves of the 15r sections.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

A Pier will typically support two adjacent track sections at the joint between them.

Be careful of an overhead joint (and therefore its pier) being right on top of the lower track. 

Some remedies:

1.) Build a wider pier so its legs straddle the lower track,

2.) Reinfoce the overhead joint with a bridge,

3.) Use a longer section of track (if rigid enough),

4.) Move the overhead joint by using half-track sections elsewhere (layout shape stays the same),

5). Move the overhead joint by re-designing the layout into a different shape. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Doneldon

Reb-

The twice around layout has a lot of potential, whether you elevate some track so you can fly over a lower track or use a crossing
at grade. I did the letter for my large scale Christmas tree layout and it's just right. With the crossing to the rear, the train seems
to be running on two separate tracks.
                                                           -- D