News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Installed sound in my connie

Started by ChrisS, November 20, 2010, 12:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisS

I spent the evening installing a tsunami tsu-1000 k series decoder in the 2-8-0. I installed a megabass 27mm speaker and a 27mm higher freq speaker in the tender. Made baffles out of pill bottles. The speakers are in series and compliment each other well. Managed to keep the factory bachmann board in there. I put an 8 pin plug on the tsunami harness.
The loco ran well with the bachmann installed decoder. Now it runs great! It took 2 hours, but was well worth it

ChrisS

I like it so much. I now want to get rid of my new outside frame 4-4-0 to replace it with another Connie. Anyone want to trade???

ChrisS

Installed the heavy steam in my second Connie with a medium oval speaker and enclosure. It's much more fun having the double head each making noise

Tomcat

Yep. You´re right folks. To me - the Connie is the most beautiful and fine-detailed model that Bachmann ever produced in the On30 range. I´ve got three of them plus have kitbashed two into a D&RG C-21 and C-25 engine, following a dear friend´s hints - Bill Iwan, thank you so much!!!!

Cheers, Tom ;) ;) ;)

ChrisS

They are exceptional runners once you remove the factory decoder and go with something like a tsunami.
I love mine. I may get another.

Mike_AA9ZY

I bought a 2-8-0 from Micro-Mark when they had them for $90, and would love to put sound in it.

ChrisS

Mike. After my 2nd install, it will take about and hour. Add another 1/2 hour for firebox flickering lights. It's a cool effect

Tomcat

Mike,
it´s a straightforward job. Go for a Tsunami (Medium Steam, D&RGW C-class or Heavy steam if you want to give her a "Chunky vocal" which suits this engine pretty good) and if you´re a lazy guy like me, use the Bachmann decoder´s harness to wire the Tsunami. Just cut it off and solder the Tsunamis wires to the harness, best using shrink tubing to isolate each soldering to the others.

Max one hour as Chris said. And you´ll enjoy the Connie´s totally changed behaviour under DCC with a good decoder´s control. Enjoy!

Cheers, Tom ;) ;) ;)

davepenn7

:) I would like to install sound in my Connie 2-8-0 Outside frame engine. How do I disassemble the tender?
VR,
Dave

hminky

There is my conversion, takes more work but you can't beat the sound of two 1-1/2 diameter speakers using the tender body as a sound box:

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/of_sound/

Hear the speakers in the Mogul tender:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_78JD4OsBvU

Bigger is better! Yeah, have tried the smaller speakers.

Thank you if you visit
Harold