News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

UP 4-8-4...

Started by Captain_Dynamite, November 19, 2014, 03:10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain_Dynamite

I own the UP 806 4-8-4 from the Overland Limited set, and after an almost seven year service run (purchased during Christmas 2007)), it has unfortunately fallen apart. :'(

I'm attempting to send it in for repair, but the service department asks for a receipt of the set, but unfortunately, because it's just about seven years old, I don't have it anymore. Would I still be eligible for repairs without a receipt or warranty card?

Thanks!

Bucksco

You can send it in for repair if you agree to pay a nominal service charge as outlined here:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/service.php

Captain_Dynamite

Ok, so no receipt required?

ACY

Your locomotive likely will not be repaired however from the looks of it. You will liekly be offered a DC standard line diesel locomotive as a replacement.  You should get a few models to choose from though. If your locomotive would have been withon the one year warranty and you had the receipt you would have likely got the same locomotive as a replacement.

JRG1951

Captain,
There are three main generations of Bachmann 4-8-4 engines.
1. The first generation was a pancake motor design > Cheap and ran poorly < Avoid these
2. The second generation was a split frame design with a can motor < Runs good no parts < many used engines around
3. Third generation current production > improved design more rugged < no first hand experience with this type

Here is a link that will help you understand the difference between the early engines and the second generation.
http://www.tycoforums.com/tyco/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11848&SearchTerms=4,8,4

To get to the point, you can pick up an old second generation 4-8-4 and rob the parts to fix yours. The direct replacement engine is a Overland like yours or a NYC Niagara. Be careful as Bachmann used the Santa Fe Northern in early overland sets. The drivers for the second gen 4-8-4 engines are interchangeable, but each type needs the correct cylinders and valve gear. Look at the pictures and be sure the drive rods are in line, these engines have a bad habit of the center axle plastic breaking. Make sure you use plastic compatible oil on these engines!

I have noticed more vintage parts from Bachmann. It would be really great if they would provide the drive axle center inserts as spare parts. That appears to be your problem.

Good Luck John

A man may imagine things that are false, but he can only understand things that are true, for if the things be false, the apprehension of them is not understanding. <> Isaac Newton

Bucksco

You need to call the service department to discuss your options.