Help finding/fixing a part on G scale Climax

Started by Trwirth, November 20, 2014, 01:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trwirth

Hello all

Excuse my ignorance but...I have a G scale 25 ton Narrow Gauge Class "B" Climax locomotive which it says is a Item # 81181.
and.....Pardee and Curtin style.

Bought it probably 10-15 years ago from a really cool train store in Western new York which is now gone.

I am ashamed to admit I never lubricated it from when the dealer did at purchase as I only get it out at Xmas time.  This year I decided to service the engine and took off the truck covers (plastic) per instructions.  The screws were very tight but I got them out but the back cover, because the screws were tight was cracked and about the width of the screw hole fell off on the front edge.  Called Bachman parts and they were not much help at all even knowing what I was asking for.

Is there a source that might still have the cover?  and.......next best a way to reglue or weld the cover back together.

Thanks,

Tom

doug c

Did they have problems with correct part number ?
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/G850X_IS003_1.pdf couple things that look like covers on this page for rear gear box.

The one you're talking about is it one of two on the rear assembly (and seemingly same for front) ?
If so this would seem to be what you're interested in  ?
http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_641&products_id=8303    pg 2 of climax parts.

According to a bottom of pg. statement, this item was added to the cat. on the 7th !!

good luck.

doug c

... and i don't even have a climax ;)
"G-Gauge may not RULE, But it GROWS on Ya !! "     djc'99

Chuck N

If it was my engine, I would try to epoxy it back in place.  After the epoxy has set, file or scrape it smooth on both sides.  This is so that it will fit snugly against the housing on one side and on the other side I would use a small piece of styrene plastic sheet and epoxy that over the fix.  Cut the styrene large enough to extend a 1/2" or so beyond the broken piece, except the the narrow edge.

Once that has set you can re-drill the hole in the base plate through the styrene.  

Looking at my climax, a 1/16" thick piece of styrene or less would work and not get caught on switches and other things in the track.

I'm suggesting epoxy because I do not know what glue or solvent would work best.

The plates not structural, only to keep the gears clean and lubed.  So it shouldn't be subjected to any stress or strain.  

If all else fails, screw the other 5 screws in and put a small piece of duct tape over the broken area.  This will help hold it in place and keep dirt out.

Chuck

Doug that looks like the top plates, not the bottom plate.  The bottom plate is one piece that covers the entire opening and both drive gears.  Looking at the figure you posted, I think that the part number is 00801.  Those drawings are very helpful.  I wasn't aware that they existed.  THANKS!!

This is where the English language sometimes fails us (me).  I interpreted "back cover" to be the cover on the bottom of the rear (back) gear housing.  Back cover could also have been interpreted as top (you) of the gear housing.  

doug c

Yeah i saw that larger one piece plate  too  but surprised not listed in their parts catalog.  Strange that the smaller ones are though...

have fun !

doug c

p.s. heading out right now, to see if the snowplow crew can flip some snow off the mainline .. +5c  best time to try,  as tomorrow it will definitely be ice under any remaining snowpack.
"G-Gauge may not RULE, But it GROWS on Ya !! "     djc'99

Chuck N

I am too!  I my be censored, but parts are sometime a problem.

Chuck

Trwirth

The drawing was very helpful.  Part # 00B01 is it.....but....if it's on the drawing....why is it not available??

Tom

Bucksco

The reason the parts are not available is because the model is very old and has been out of production for quite some time. The Large Scale Climax was reissued a couple of years ago and incorporated a certain amount of redesign. When a model is produced a certain percentage of parts are made available and when they are depleted more are not available until the model is produced again. In the case of this one parts for the newer version are available but unfortunately Bachmann no longer has parts for the older version.