News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ Command and decoders....

Started by taylorg01, October 26, 2007, 01:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taylorg01

So, we have an EZ-command controller and more than a handful of bachman HO (mix of steam and diesel) trains with Bachmann decoders.  We also have one Athern Genesis dash9 with another brand decoder we picked up used.

We are wondering about the functions of the bachmann decoders beyond carrying an address, turning the light off/on(F10), and dimming the light (F1).  Are there any others and where is the information regarding these...?  With only 10 functions I can't imagine there is much we can do with the EZ-command, but we'd like to know what else there is.

When we got the Athern it already had momentum braking set up and a few other things that we had to get set back to defaults by a friend with a Digitrax system.

Now my son wants to get at least one Soundtraxx decoder and speaker for one of his Bachmanns and I need to know what various functions the EZ-command can control with only 8 of the 10 function keys available.

So, to make the questions more concise:
1. what do all the function keys on the EZ-command control on a backmann-decoder-equipped train...?

2. what functions are available for sound-etc with other NMRA-compliant decoders using the function keys on the EZ-command.

We have a 4x8 multi-layered layout with plastic road bed track and usually don't run more than 2-3 engines at any given time.  My son would really like to add sound to his layout and has even asked Santa for the 2-6-6-2 Allegheny DCC /w sound for Christmas.

Thanks for good products that even a non-model train person can get working.

the Bach-man

Dear Taylor,
The controller has ten adddresses and eight sound functions. On our sound decoders, 1 is bell, 2 long whistle, 3 short whistle, 4 blow down, 5 generator start, 6 water into tank, 7 coal doors, 8 sound off.  10 turns the headlight on and off.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

SteamGene

Hi, Taylor,
Does your son want the Bachmann USRA light Mallet, 2-6-6-2 or the Hornsby/Rivarossi Allegheny 2-6-6-6?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

taylorg01

The mallet sounds interesting.  We are using LL snap track (because we had a LOT of it) and 18" radius turns.  The long stuff doesn't like it much, but I have made a few modifications to get it around.  I'm banking the curves now before we permanently attach the track to the foam.

Christmas is coming up and we need to get him something.  He's got at least one address space left on his EZ.  Got a pic of that Mallet...