News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Getting started again

Started by hurricane3, November 20, 2014, 04:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doneldon

Quote from: hurricane3 on November 21, 2014, 06:06:46 PM
At the present I have the layout on metal horses and have it set about a foot away from the wall so I have access to both sides.

Caine-

It sounds like your room is pretty small if it barely contains your layout table. That suggests to me a situation which can best be coped with by placing the trains around the room with the center open. You an do a dog bone with return curves on each side of the door or install a lift out or swinging section so you have access to the room. You can vary the layout's width to contain costs and energy while having wider sections for scenery, buildings or yards and industries. This definitely makes the best use of the space.
                                                                                                                                                                          -- D

hurricane3

It is a small room. but for now I'm going to work on the layout I've started.After I've gained more experience I will consider a change.I've had two 4 by 8 layouts in the past,one when I was a kid and one I built for my son ( and now that I think of it it's been over thirty years ,more like forty) and a small n scale when I lived in an apartment. I think I'll be happy with the one I've started now as I (like most most railroaders) never plan to finish.

jbrock27

... never plan to finish.

I hear ya on that one brother!
Keep Calm and Carry On

Doneldon

Quote from: hurricane3 on November 22, 2014, 02:26:27 AM
I ... never plan to finish.

Cane-

That's good because that's always how it goes, even if the model rail does plan to finish it!

-- D

RAM

Model Railroader just came out with, How to build small Model Railroads.  They show some real nice layouts that take up little space.