News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Intro and a Question

Started by BMBoy1982, November 25, 2014, 02:05:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMBoy1982

Hello all. 

Name's Jesse, located in Cincinnati Ohio.

I have recently became the proud owner of a 4-6-0 "Annie"  Denver & Rio Grande.  Spotted it in the display at a hobby store, and had to have it.  Last one they had in stock!  I just love the old American style steam locos. 

My question is about the smoke feature.  About how much liquid does one put in the loco to achieve a decent smoke effect?  (without liquid getting all over)

Ted Yarbrough

Jesse,
Directions call for 6-8 drops (use eye-dropper from drug store/Walmart). Make sure smoke switch under smokebox cover on front of loco is on. Do NOT run the loco with switch on and the smoke fluid container dry, as it will rather quickly burn out. While the loco has a working smoke unit, these are not the world's best and will not put out large amounts of smoke. I, too, like the D&RGW locos!
I would suggest locating a garden railway group near you and join. You can get lots of info from members.
Happy Rails To You,
Ted

Joe Satnik

Jesse,

Some wiring mods for BH 4-6-0s:

You can add an on/off switch to the motor wiring in the loco. 

You can then shut the motor off and "cook" smoke while parked by turning up the power supply.

This will increase your running smoke output for a short while.

Don't let it go dry, though.   

PM me if you would like some other Big Hauler re-wiring ideas.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

doug c

"G-Gauge may not RULE, But it GROWS on Ya !! "     djc'99

BMBoy1982

Thank you everyone for the comments and tips! ;D