News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Help with understanding turnouts

Started by rrxsing, November 26, 2014, 09:29:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrxsing

Hello:

I am new/older guy to this forum and have searched for help but I would like to ask a question that may have been asked before.   Due to downsizing I put away the Lionels and I am working with DCC ho.  I am using ez-track because of its ease and also I was given a large amount of track.   Well I purchased ez-track turnouts without the knowledge of DC / DCC.  My turnouts are DC analogue as you say.   Can I use the DC turnouts in a DCC layout?   Some of my turnouts have plastic frogs,  others metal.   I am not concerned about controlling my turnouts with DCC,   I would enjoy having a "model board"  and using the controls that come with the turnouts to operate.  Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

jward

yes, you can use analogue switches on a dcc layout, using the original control boxes. I am doing this now, with no plans to convert them to dcc. you will need a separate power supply for them, such as an old dc power pack. these switches have a twin coil solenoid to throw the points, and will work off either dc or ac power of around 12 volts.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

electrical whiz kid

rrxing;
For a complete understanding about turnouts, there are several good sites; I go to "you tube" for a lot of my questions.  Also, there are some via Model Railroader, Railroad Model Craftsman, and other publications.  I also recommend-heartily-"Central Valley" model railroad company.  When Jack Parker started the production of their rail tie systems, he put a vey good easy to understand product line out there.  Their site is "central valley.com".  I have been using his products for a number of years.  He also produces a killer Pratt truss bridge!
Crusader Rail Services is another company from whose web site you can get a lot of information.  Have fun.
RIch C.

electrical whiz kid

Hi again;
thought of another; it is "Fast Tracks" on the computer. 
RIch C.