News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

1:22.5 Steam Engines???

Started by Seaboard Air Line Fan, November 24, 2014, 02:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Is the 4-6-0 the only engine offered in this "scale"?  If so, why?

Bob D.

Chuck N

This is a difficult question to answer.  There may be some other engines they made suitable for 1:22.5/24. 

The 1:22.5/24 scale is a scale that isn't exact for most North American Narrow Gauge railroads.  They are very nice, and are compatible with other manufacturers products in that scale, LGB, Delton, Hartland, AristoCraft (some) and USAt (some).

I can't explain what Bachmann's reasoning is/was, but there are a lot of trains on the market that are widely used and they wanted to be part of that market.  The "Big hauler" line came out years before the 1:20.3 Spectrum line.  Bachmann has a excellent line of scale correct engines and cars on the Spectrum line, scale 1:20.3.

Chuck

Kevin Strong

In terms of the scale stated on the box, yes and no.

The 2-4-2 "Lynn" is also 1:22.5. Bachmann's original 0-4-0 Porter as well as their 2-4-2 "Columbia" locomotives were likewise 1:22.5. Their Davenport industrial switcher is also described as 1:22.5.

When Bachmann introduced their "industrial" 2-6-0 mogul, they called it 1:20.3. However, it's a freelance model--not based on any specific prototype--and uses the same boiler, cab, and tender as the 2-4-2 "Columbia." So, while "on the box" it says 1:20.3, it's based on components from a 1:22.5 model. Conversely, when they re-introduced their 0-4-0 Porter as a 1:20.3 model, they did increase the size of the cab and some other components, so its increase in scale was more than just new numbers on the box.

That having been said, Bachmann's locos are models of narrow gauge locomotives. Some are based on specific prototypes, some are more freelance in nature. What's important to remember is that narrow gauge locomotives (especially) came in a wide variety of sizes. So, while a model may scale out to 1:22.5, it may also measure favorably to a similar prototype when scaled at 1:20.3.

I've always asserted that when choosing a model for your railroad, you should never go by the scale on the box, rather you should go by the scale ruler in your hand. The "scale" of any given model of a piece of railroad equipment is determined by how a person would interact with it. If a person can comfortably fit in the cab of a locomotive to operate it, then that locomotive would work in that given scale. If a person is dwarfed by or towers over the cab, doorways, or other things, then the locomotive itself may work, but you would likely need to build a new cab more in keeping with the human element.

Later,

K

tac

Assuming, like the rest of us, that you have a credit card, remember that they are all the same size - 54mm by 85mm.

The short dimension is the height of a 5' 10" person in Gauge 1 - that's 1/32nd scale.

The long dimension is the just about the height of that same person in 1/20.3 scale - that's Bachmann's Spectrum line of 3 foot gauge models.

Check out that height dimension on any railroad item you care to - your 'test guy' for 1/22.5 should measure around a fourth of an inch short of the longer side of your credit card.

Note that you can also buy a 1/24th scale 'person' at any dolls house modelling store, and use that as a quick 'feasibility check' on any new purchase.  If the figure looks like Tom Cruise in height, a famous 'shortie' in real life, compared to the door height of your intended purchase, then you're good for 1/22.5.  You could, of course, also buy any of the well-known Preiser figures that ate actually MADE to go with 1/22.5 scale.

Hope this helps.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Thanks guys!  I'm on the hunt for an engineer and fireman for my Ten-Wheeler, then start making comparisons.

Bob D.

Chuck N

A bag of accessories came with most if not all of my Bachmann engines.  This included tools and an engineer and fireman.  Call parts and ask if they have any.

Chuck

Seaboard Air Line Fan

I saw a fireman, but no engineer.  They have a sitting figure that may work, but I'll keep looking

Bob D.

Joe Zullo

Quote from: Seaboard Air Line Fan on November 26, 2014, 10:53:34 AM
I saw a fireman, but no engineer.  They have a sitting figure that may work, but I'll keep looking

Bob D.

This is the Bachmann engineer that fits in the 4-6-0. I call him Tiny Tim because he is smaller than the rest of the Bachmann figures.
I use the other Bachmann sitting figure for the engineers in my two Davenports but I have to cut off the left leg and some of the left hip to get them to fit on the seat.

Chuck N

Here is the engineer that came with my Bachmann Shay>

Chuck