News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Caboose Hand Grabs?

Started by Seaboard Air Line Fan, November 26, 2014, 11:02:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seaboard Air Line Fan

I recently bought one of these 8-wheeled cabooses:

http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=255_443_463_464&products_id=2975

I'm getting ready to paint it and have taken it apart.  This particular model has rubbery plastic hand grabs, does anyone make metal parts to replace them or do I need to roll my own?

Bob D.

steamrusty

Hey,
look at Ozark miniatures
steamrusty

armorsmith

Bob D.

To the best of my knowledge, no one makes a direct replacement metal handrail/hand grab for any of the Bachmann plastic parts.  Most who wish to replace the plastic parts tend to form their own parts out of brass wire.

Bob C.

Seaboard Air Line Fan

steamrusty, I didn't see exactly what I was looking for but thanks for letting me know about them, have it linked now.

Bob C., thanks, figured as much.

I already have a length of brass wire ready to start cutting/bending.

Bob D.

dgtrrco

usually ACE IS THE PLACE has a bin with brass stock in it. You can easily make those with the round brass rods just measure. bend to shape  and solder them up. easy to make and strong to boot. i have made plenty for my bachmann coaches and handrails for my other manufact diesels.

Seaboard Air Line Fan

I think what I'm going to do is superglue the plastic grabs in place and see how they hold.  If they don't hold solidly enough I'll make some out of brass.

I'm slowly adding decals to the engine and caboose, but today I actually RAN the train around an 8' diameter circle of Bachmann brass track on a carpeted floor upstairs  ;D

I was amazed at how quiet the entire train (engine, tank car, caboose) ran, must be that hefty brass rail (and the carpet) that's holding down the noise, even with the chuff sounding as loud as I could get it.

My old Aristo-Craft Train Engineer made it a breeze to operate, I could get the speed down to a crawl, nice slow starts and stops.

Next on the "Get List" will most likely be a couple of switches, another piece of rolling stock, and maybe a passenger car.

If O-scale is the "King Of Scales" then this must be the "King-Kong Of Scales"!!!

Bob D.

Doneldon

SAL Fan-

Make yourself a jig so your grabs all come out the same. It will be faster and easier, too.

-- D