News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

How safe is my train?

Started by shusain, November 27, 2014, 06:20:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shusain

Hi there

I received an old Bachmann train set that was my brother in-laws when he was a child. It is probably 25-35 years old. Although looks interesting there are a lot of archaic looking electrical parts (especially the remote), I am not sure I am comfortable using it never mind my child. It is model 6607. Do you have any recommendations on if your models get discontinued at some point due to recall or other reasons?

Thank you

Desertdweller

I've never heard of a safety recall of a Bachmann product.  Mr. Bachmann should be able to answer that.
It sounds possible for a powerpack to deteriorate from heat, although that too is something that might happen.  I have a MRC powerpack I have used for about 25 years that still works fine.

New DC powerpacks will work just fine with older DC trains.  If you have any doubts about your present powerpack, replace it with a new one.  Trainset-type powerpacks are not expensive.

Les

ACY

HO and N scale trains have a suggested age of 14. If your child is less than 14, I suggest you only allow him to use it with close adult supervision. If your child is below 10, you might find HO scale is too delicate for him. O scale and Large (G) scale are more durable and lend themselves more to younger children.

As far as safety recalls are concerned,  I don't recall any recalls being issued for any HO scale trains much less Bachmann trains. You have nothing to worry about regarding that aspect of safety.

rogertra

Quote from: ACY on November 27, 2014, 07:18:35 PM
HO and N scale trains have a suggested age of 14. If your child is less than 14, I suggest you only allow him to use it with close adult supervision. If your child is below 10, you might find HO scale is too delicate for him. O scale and Large (G) scale are more durable and lend themselves more to younger children. 

I had a "scale"  Hornby Dublo railway from when I was 12 or 13 years of age.

That's "scale", as in flex track, No. 6 switches, an around the walls (in my parent's attic) prototype based track plan complete with timetable etc., so age isn't the limiting factor.

I knew a couple of boys in my school who were scratch building flying aircraft from balsa wood at that age as well, much more impressive skills that building a model railway.  :)

All a younger child needs is encouragement and guidance and my dad wasn't even interested in trains but that's what he gave me.

Cheers

Roger T.

ACY

That isn't my suggested age, that would be the suggested age listed by multiple manufacturers. If I am not mistaken Bachmann has it in their paperwork included with train sets and locomotives. Read the fine print in the sets if you don't believe me.

jbrock27

I got my first train (set, AHM) for Christmas when I was 5.  The RS3 ran like dog doo and the cattle car was always causing problems, but no one ever got hurt.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Bucksco

Since the condition of the set cannot be determined sight unseen it is impossible to tell the original poster if there is anything wrong with his set. A new set shouldn't have any issues even if it is fairly old. He can call our service department if he has concerns about the condition of the set. All Hobby products require the age to be listed at 14.