News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Track jump

Started by Paul S., November 28, 2014, 01:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul S.

I recently purchased a 4-4-0 American and the guide trucks keep jumping the track.  The other engines do not do that on the same track.  What do I need to do?

Maletrain

FIRST, look carefully at the track where the derailments are occurring.  Some cars and locos are more sensitive than others to track imperfections, so you can't assume the track is fine just becasuse some cars and locos have no problems on it.  Look for verticle kinks as well as horizontal kinks in your track.

SECOND, make sure that the guide wheels are clean.  I had a problem with gunk buildup on a ten-wheeler that had previously run fine on the same track.  It was apparently due to picking-up gunk quickly from some used cars I had purchased at a train show and put into the consist of that loco.  The cars shed the gunk quickly and the guide wheels picked it up as the train went around the loop.

FINALLY, it the track is good and the wheels are clean, you can add some weight to the guide truck.  A bit of lead sheet or tungsten putty is typically used for that. 

Good luck.  Let us know what you find.

James in FL

Hi Paul S.,

I too have experienced the same as Maletrain, but the gunk, on the pony wheels, was on a CC Hudson.
I used my exacto to scrape it off, followed with 91° iso to remove the remnant.

Look for vertical steps at the track joints not only kinks in that area, but rise and dip.

Burrs at track joints will kill traction tires.

Number one to check is wheel gauge on that pony truck.

Good luck

Paul S.

I really recleaned the track again....and again.  The 4-4-0 runs smooth as silk.  Thank you both.

Ken G Price

Quote from: Paul S. on December 01, 2014, 01:14:26 PM
I really recleaned the track again....and again.  The 4-4-0 runs smooth as silk.  Thank you both.
I have one of the much older N-Scale 4-4-0's from before 1998 and with clean track and wheels is also runs smooth. Now, if it was DCC I could run it more often.
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/