News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Couplers that do not match.

Started by Bill1462, November 29, 2014, 12:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill1462

I have a set of Bachmann Amtrack cars and a Bachmann DDC Amtrack engine. The couplers do not line up properly so that I can run it on Bachman E-Z Track around a Christmas tree. I have worked to get the track as flat as possible, yet I always have problems. Why can't the couplers match up on equipment that is made by the same manufacturer? It is really frustrating.

jbrock27

Have you used the  'Search' feature here to see if there are any threads regarding coupler height, to see if you can find information that will help you to easily correct your issue?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Bill1462

I have read your responses elsewhere, and I am sorry, but I have found them incomprehensible. I don't what you are talking about. The only thing I could do is print out your response and go to the train store in Clearwater, FL, 60 miles away, and ask him to translate it for me. And yes, maybe pay him $60 an hour to fix and repair the stuff as I have done in the past.

Why is that one can buy three Am Track passenger cars all made by Bachmann, all of the same series differing only in the labels and windows, all of the same vintage, and they don't line up so that you can link them together?

I don't find working on stuff like this fun. I have spent many hours with building and painting models, streets, mountains and laying track. I have a fair sized layout that took weeks to do. And yet I have some cars that are useless because I can't link them together to run around the track. The cars should line up. What is so hard about that? Is realism that important that you can't make cars that are compatible with one another even when they are same brand? Why is that you can line up two couplers and yet every time you start them one lifts and pulls out of connection?  :-[

Here are a couple of photos to who you that I am not lying to you.

Under the tree ...

AGSB

Pictures of the cars that "don't line up" would have been more helpful.

Bill1462

I'll see what I can do with the micro lens to show a before and after. I don't have a movie camera.

Bucksco

jbrock27

Wow Bill, incomprehensible ???  While I have no idea why you would find what I have written (and let's be clear, I am not sure exactly what or which passages you are referring to) to be so hard to follow, I would point out, I am not the only person on this board, or the whole internet for that matter, who has written about the subject.  So may I suggest you see if you have better luck seeing if you can comprehend what someone else has written about it.  Also, if you are a pictures kind of dude, I suggest YouTube.  It is not that hard a thing to do or figure out, w/o having to drive 60 miles (and for the record, I never told you to go drive 60 miles to figure this out or pay someone $60 to-if you want, PM me and for $60 I'll walk you thru it ;)) or for that matter, do a little research to find out where to go to learn how.
But let me understand this bc I am also at a loss.  You have the obvious skill and patience to put together these 2 beautiful layouts, but can't comprehend ways to adjust the coupler height on your cars or locos?  That is something I have trouble comprehending.  I guess it is easier to complain and gripe about something than it is to go about "adjusting".  Do you own a Kadee Coupler Height Gauge?  And frankly Bill, you're sounding like a bit of a crank and am not sure why you seem to be taking out this trouble on me.
Contact Bachmann Customer Service if you like but, I don't know where that is going to get you for something like this.
Keep Calm and Carry On

tymbomb

Quote from: jbrock27 on November 29, 2014, 06:36:05 PM
And frankly Bill, you're sounding like a bit of a crank and am not sure why you seem to be taking out this trouble on me.
Contact Bachmann Customer Service if you like but, I don't know where that is going to get you for something like this.

I'm enjoying the irony that he's ranting about quality control while spelling "Amtrak" every possible way except the correct one.  ::)

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

Saved1

couplers come in different lengths even if they are the same type of couplers, it's been my experience before that for example, connecting medium length couplers to long length couplers may not line up properly resulting in the couplers not connecting at all do to one being to high or to low. sometimes they may connect only to uncouple down the rail because the couplers are of different lengths.

look to see if the couplers are of the same type and length if they are not you can change one from the other, for example, if you have a car that has long couplers on each side try to find a different car that you wont use and put one of the long couplers on the respective car you want to connect, vise versa for one with medium or short couples.

jbrock27

If I read you right S1, you are getting some sag from the longer shanked coupler. You may want to try putting a Kadee fiber washer (there are 2 thicknesses) or a washer or shim made from styrene, underneath the shank (where the round hole is) inside the coupler box to raise the coupler a little and keep it from sagging.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Saved1

Quote from: jbrock27 on November 29, 2014, 07:24:53 PM
If I read you right S1, you are getting some sag from the longer shanked coupler. You may want to try putting a Kadee fiber washer (there are 2 thicknesses) or a washer or shim made from styrene, underneath the shank (where the round hole is) inside the coupler box to raise the coupler a little and keep it from sagging.

in some cases that is something that does need to be done, thanks for pointing that out Jbrock

edited

jbrock27

Ahhhh, Talgos and horn hooks, ugh!
Sorry on more than 1 level S1.  I am sorry, my advice was given under the assumption you were using knuckle couplers, given the great work your layout shows.  I assumed incorrectly, that you would not be using rolling stock of that quality. 
I do not know what to suggest for the horn hook couplers.  I never adjusted them, have just gotten rid of them.  Perhaps the same thing would work???  But the washers are a bit harder to get in the place needed.  My best suggestion would be to get some coupler boxes, 1/4 small course threaded screws and knuckle couplers.  Would you be up for that?
Good thing you showed pictures.
Maybe JBsmith could help you.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Saved1

Quote from: jbrock27 on November 29, 2014, 07:49:36 PM
Ahhhh, Talgos and horn hooks, ugh!
Sorry on more than 1 level S1.  I am sorry, my advice was given under the assumption you were using knuckle couplers, given the great work your layout shows.  I assumed incorrectly, that you would not be using rolling stock of that quality. 
I do not know what to suggest for the horn hook couplers.  I never adjusted them, have just gotten rid of them.  Perhaps the same thing would work???  But the washers are a bit harder to get in the place needed.  My best suggestion would be to get some coupler boxes, 1/4 small course threaded screws and knuckle couplers.  Would you be up for that?
Good thing you showed pictures.
Maybe JBsmith could help you.

lol i use all different types of couplers, i mix match them together haha mostly though i use knuckle couplers, i even have some that have the knuckle in front and the horn in the back for my older cars  ;D

jward

there are a couple of things possibly going on here. first is a coupler height mismatch. couplers should be at the same height as you have surmised. it is possible, that one of the couplers was damaged. with the plastic shank couplers like the ez mate it is easy to bend the coupler shank. once this happens it is almost impossible to get the coupler back the way it was. possibly, the trip pin was low and snagged on something and bent the shank? another possibility is that one of the couplers is loose in its mounting box. a loose screw could be the cause. your claim that one coupler is riding up over the other one when you start to pull leads me to believe this is your problem. I would tighten the screws on the coupler boxes.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA