News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Hi there, I am back!

Started by Painkiller, December 04, 2014, 08:51:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Painkiller

I am back again and back with interest with 0n30. Last time I managed to buy a 2-8-0 and few pieces of track from Micro engineering Before interest shifted in to something else. I recently picked up the steamer and clened it and ran back and forward on some flex track and went wow.  So I looked at stuff at Ebay as there are not much of dealers around and now I got an black and undecorated Tenwheeler on its way over here, it should arrive just Before holidays and I guess it will be a perfect excuse to add more track and start by doing something with modules. I have playing aound with Calling the road as Rio Fanguso Western but that may change. Let's see what happens to that bit. It is not that important right now. The planned roster right now is a pair of 2-8-0.s and that 4-6-0.

I surveyed a bit on offerings that are suitable and on lines presented in various forums and I am rounding up a nice game plan for it. Still as I live in Sweden, there are loads of preserved lines in 3 ft gauge. One near by is a jem as it is a 6 km long portion of the 90 km line that starteed as a small iron hauling road but as it was extended turned out to a timber hauler. I would not say a log hauler as it served as a connection between a big saw mill in the west end with the giant paper mill at east. The ore business was phased out during the early years of 1930.s, yet during the WWII the mine and other mining business was reopened a few years. Next year, I will visit a preserved line in Finland which is in 750 mm gauge which is pretty close to 0n30 and they have a 2-8-0 with a inside frame that is pretty Close in propotion to what I have right now. One thing for sure, I will quite a few flat cars for the timber...

Last summer I edited a video of what I recorded between 2000 -2006 of their current operations and I have a plan to transform it in to 0n30 and to what is available. The location will be altered though as freight cars in Europé is way different than in America so right now I will have it somewhere on the east coast of USA or Canada. As the the railroad will have its only connection with a unmodelled standard gauge line, it gives me freedome to settle with the standard coming with Bachmann offerings.  The space available is not settled so I am thinking start out with modules.

So so far I will give you a link to the video I mentioned and post more when I have more to add.
http://youtu.be/uQLU9KFlNAs

Cheers!

Painkiller

I forgot to add, I have a web page with 0n30 which I started and with some ideas of the planning I did when I first bought the 2-8-0. It never got further than ideas and some photos of the line as it is operated to day which I had plans for transform in to something more suitable to the engines and cars that are offered.

www.olaviahokas.com/riofanguso

fred lundgren

Ollie
Thank you for posting your video.
Wonderful engines.
Really like the 0-6-6-0 and the 2-4-0

Royce Wilson

Love that turn table it looks like what we use to do with the old Atlas HO turn tables.

Royce

Painkiller

Actually I allmost got all the steamers in action somehow in it. Thr both Mallets as the #12 was pushed in to the roundhouse. Today it is set a side at the workshop as it needs a new boile and the number 8 was fresh out of the shop. They are the two surviving engines of the classas the third, #1 was scrapped at the 1960 or so. The smaller engines, like the 2-4-0T and a 0-6-0T are from another local line, called BLJ (Byvalla-Långshyttan RR) some 100 or so kilometers way and was part of the roster of  the line that used breakers in trains to the very end in 1970 and never got air brakes. Suprisingly there are many of the steam engines from that line operating on various preserved lines in the country. They had 2 main line engines a 2-8-0 which is operating on a preserved line that is the longest preserved line in Sweden, some 40 km long, and the second mainline engine, 2-8-0T runs on another preserved line near the city of Allingsås some 40 kms north east from Gothenburg.  The tan engines seen on film as used as plant switchers.

The DONJ, the original 90 km system of the filmed preserved railroad, had three identical steamers like the BLJ 5 and was the first non tank engines used on line. The line also operates a small 0-6-2T that operated on small mining road that connected to DONJ some 15 kms further west and was the first engine under steam on the preserved line.

BLJ #5 at Faringe in late 1980.s

BLJ #6 at Anten in late 1990.s.