Locomotive runs good alone, slows down when two passenger cars added

Started by Mark6, December 09, 2014, 11:22:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark6

So i just bought this set...its the Bachmann Liberty Bell set, everything looks good I see that i may have some minor poor connections on the track itself however when i run the locomotive by itself it runs ok..not fast but ok...when i add the passsenger car it bogs down even when the control is all the way up.  I did also read that the control (standard that comes in the box) may be low voltage as well and most people up for a better control system.  This is our first set and we want this to be an ongoing outdoor project...

Any suggestions?
Do i need a bigger power supply?
is the locomotive poor?
New Drive?

help..
thanks!

Chuck N

Check the trucks on the passenger cars.  The electrical pickups can add a lot of rolling resistance.  Almost like pulling a couple of bricks with couplers.  If it is the wipers, I would just bend them back so they don't rub on the wheels.  If you want lighted cars, some have gone to batteries or ball bearing axles with electrical contacts.

Chuck

Mark6

thanks i will do that... the cars i have now have batteries for the interior lighting

Chuck N

If you want to expand your layout outdoors, you will need a power supply with greater output.  The starter set power supplies are minimal at best.  Many of us recommend a 10 amp unit or higher.  This will allow multiple engines and multiple lighted cars.  If you are going to only run small trains without smoke and lighted cars you might be able to get by with one in the 3-5 amp range, but there is a good chance you will out grow it and ultimately have to get a more powerful one.  I'm using 10 and 15 amp units (Bridgewerks).

Chuck

Joe Satnik

Mark,

Remove everything from the rails.

Try shoving the coal tender and each of the passenger cars down the rails, one at a time, looking for drag. 

Secure the chuff electrical cable and connector on the front of the tender up and out of the way so as not to snag the connector on the track ties below.

All three should roll down the track with ease.

Let us know the results of your rolling tests.

Further tests to follow depending on results of those rolling tests.

Joe   

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Loco Bill Canelos

One other point is that the Liberty Bell Set is an older set that has been out of production since 1998.  The locomotive in the set is equipped with the Version 3 Chassis for the 4-6-0 Big Hauler loco.  The older chassis did have weak gears and was prone to break down.  If the cars and tender roll freely down a two percent grade without modification, the problem may be the locomotive.  Your locomotive should pull the cars on the flat and level without noticeably slowing down even with the set power pack.   Since you have the battery powered lights there will be no drag on the axles from wipers unless someone altered the car from the original.  If the set was used when purchased you may also have lint , carpet fibers, and other crud in the axle housings. remove the trucks and use a small toothpick to clean them out and add light oil and see if they roll better.

If you continue to have problems consider replacing your locomotive chassis with the newer version 5 chassis which is selling for $30 bucks in the online store.

Cheers,

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Doneldon

Mark-

While you have your loco apart to check on the gears and/or change the chassis, add several ounces of weight. Try to keep it comparatively evenly distributed. You don't have to get nuts about it but you don't want the extra weight added in a manner that it changes the loco's balance on its drive wheels.

Depending on what kind of track you are using, you may experience a significant voltage drop as you move away from the point where your power is attached to your track. You can easily remedy the situation by running a large (14 or 16 ga) power buss below your layout with short feeders running up to your track every so often. Each six to ten feet should be adequate. An old, but serviceable extension cord will work for most indoor layouts. You'll need to have a more robust electrical system if you run outdoors.

Good luck with your railroad.
                                              -- D