News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Newbie with a question

Started by ranman101, December 03, 2014, 12:30:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ranman101

We have been doing a Christmas village around the tree for years. We live in Pomona Ca, and see the local fairs garden rail every year. We decided as a family project that we wanted to do one in our yard. Based on what I have read so far G Scale is the way to go. Are Bachmann G scale train sets ok to run outside? I know I will have to change out the track, but was curious about Engine and cars. Thanks in advance.

Joe Satnik

Dear RM,

Most take their Locos and cars inside when not operating.

Some build tracks through a porthole into buildings for storage and staging. 

If caught in the rain, dry them as soon as possible and lube the metal parts.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Chuck N

Since you are new to our "G" gauge trains, welcome to the hobby.  Please feel free to ask questions here or at some of the other sites that we use to show what we have been doing and to ask and answer questions.  I'm active on <mylargescale.com>.  There is another site called "large scale central". 

A frequent contributor to this and the other sites is Kevin Strong.  He has recently authored a book GARDEN RAILWAY BASICS.  This is a highly recommended book for beginners. 

I've had layouts outside, Colorado and Virginia, for over 30 years.  I've made most of the mistakes there are to be made, take advantage of the knowledge out there and try not to repeat our old mistakes.  Try to come up with one that is new and unique.

Make contact with a local Garden Railway club.  Visit homes and see what others are doing.  There is no one way to do something that is the only way to do it.  See what others are doing and adapt what you like to your situation.

Probably the closest thing to a universal recommendation is to use the largest diameter curves that will fit into the available space and to make any passing sidings about twice as long as the longest train you currently think you will run.  I've had to increase my passing sidings twice.

Chuck

tac

...and get a decent-sized power supply, too.  10A should do you fine, but the unit you get with a train set is really only just enough for the included track.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

aspoz

The answer to your question is "yes, they are fine outside - they are designed for it".  You already know that the pressed steel track that comes with a Bachmann set is unsuitable for the outside; most of us use brass (LGB, Aristocraft or some other - Bachmann have recently produced one) although some use stainless steel (much more expensive and hard to solder to) or aluminium, that choice is up to you.

Bachmann G scale stuff is pretty weatherproof although rain can get down the funnel (stack) into the interior of steam locos.  As indicated above, most of us do not leave our locos outside in anything more than a very light shower although they will run OK in quite heavy rain, but then need the cleaning noted above.  I have accidentally left a (non Bachmann) loco on a siding for a week or more, including storms, with no lasting ill effects.    Rolling stock is quite weather resistant; I have left gondolas for example outside for months and had them fill with water without any detrimental effects.  Not really recommended, but certainly survivable.

Of course, if you are using track power (all my locos are converted to battery, plently of advice on the forums noted above) then you need to ensure that the transformers, rectifiers and other electrical components are appopriately protected from the weather (and wild life, before I went battery I had problems with tree rats eating wiring).

Finally, welcome to miniature trains in the real world - they're so much more than models!

tac

Quote from: aspoz on December 03, 2014, 06:50:33 PMAs indicated above, most of us do not leave our locos outside in anything more than a very light shower although they will run OK in quite heavy rain, but then need the cleaning noted above.  

About ten years ago, one of my non-Bachmann locos, a diesel, was accidentally energised, run out of its covered siding onto the mainlne via a spring-loaded switch, and ran, along with its little five-car and caboose trains, for 24 days without being noticed [this is UK, right?].

When we got back, my wife asked me how I'd managed to have a 'welcoming train' running around before we'd even gotten through the front door.

It was covered with birdie poo and assorted air-carried grime and so on, but a dismantling and vigourous cleaning session had it looking just like new.  I had to replace the two traction tires [disappeared] and the pick-up slides [worn through], and that was it.

Still runs as sweet as a sweet-running thing, too.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

dave2-8-0

I will also suggest that you goto www.Largescalecentral.com and do some learning,  reading, asking and tap into the knowledge  base of those that will freely share. 
New Mexico Northern Rail Road

ranman101

Thanks to all, for the input. I have been reading as much as possible before starting this long term project. I'm kinda of in a hold till after Christmas. Too much going on to get started. Once we are done with the Holidays, we are starting. I'll try not to make the same mistakes, but no promises. :)

Loco Bill Canelos

Ranman,

I have been in the hobby or over 68 years, read everything  could and still probably made every possible mistake.  No matter, I have had a blast all along the way and as it turned out it was a wonderful hobby that I shared with my four kids during those tough years when they were teens. It kept the lines of communication open and for that I am very thankful.  Once when working on a station scene with my daughter, she asked me some very deep questions about relations with boys.  Although taken aback I quickly recovered and gave a credible response.  Later I felt totally great that she trusted me so much.  That is only part of the story, in the intervening time my daughters lost interest in trains, but my son still stayed with the hobby and we share it constantly.  We were recently looking at pictures of some of the older layouts and it brought back a lot of great memories.  It was hard at times when one of the kids did something to the layout I thought did not fit in, but I never criticized what they did, just subtly suggested some ideas using "Wouldn't id be cool if.........". 

Too much holiday rambling here, but don't let the possibility of mistakes keep you from getting started!!!!

May you and your family enjoy your time playing with trains for many years to come!!

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

tac

Quote from: dave2-8-0 on December 10, 2014, 10:21:07 PM
I will also suggest that you goto www.Largescalecentral.com and do some learning,  reading, asking and tap into the knowledge  base of those that will freely share. 

Definitely a site worth joining - I should know.  ;)

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS
www.largescalecentral.com