0-27 Hudson with 80W transformer

Started by Bandit1611, December 03, 2014, 09:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bandit1611

Hi,

I just got the 0-27 4-6-4 Hudson Locomotive.  it looks beautiful.  Under operation it says i need at least a 90Watt transformer.  i have an 80 Watt i know its low but is there a reason why it requires 90W

Joe Satnik

The most common 80 Watt transformer is the "chopped wave" Lionel CW-80, which wreaks havoc with loco electronics.

Most 90 Watt transformers have a clean sine-wave output, which is compatible with electronic sound boards.

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Bandit1611

would that also mean the smoke generator dosent work well?  if i use the lionel 80?  Should i get the Lionel GW180?

Chessie1971

The lionel CW80 will work fine. I run all my williams engines on it. 

Bandit1611

Ok so if i wanted it to sound better i should upgrade.  However if i just want to run the train and get smoke the cw80 will work and not damage my engine.

Chessie1971

No it will not damage your engine and your engine will smoke better with CW80.

Bandit1611

That is great news thank you very much for helping me

Chessie1971

Joe Satnik

More discussion, including Len's response at the bottom of this thread:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,8723.0.html

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

M1FredQ

Hope this helps
I have a Lionel 1950's Hudson
A couple dozen WBB O-Gauge Locomotives(Steamers and Diesels)
Lionel Lionchief Plus 3 different types

I run all of them on 2 Lionel CW-80's. Everything works just great have not had a problem.

In fact my 11 year old son and I were running the LC Pluses tonight on those CW-80's and all 3 were smokin galore.

Yes I do intend to get a bigger and better transformer the Bachmann to be exact. It's just that work and time constraints as well as family have put a hold on some of our layout projects and plans.

Today was the first time in over a month we ran those trains and spent over an hour smokin up the basement, great mental health!!!