News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Engine couplers

Started by Jim fuhrer, November 23, 2014, 05:39:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim fuhrer

My engine coupler is to high for my train cars. How can I lower my bachmann engine coupler

jbrock27

1) use a different coupler that has the knuckle (head) that is lower on the shank.  For example, an Overset coupler.  But I say this w/o knowing the kind you have in there now.  So what style do you have in their now?

2) lower the coupler box-there are several ways to do this.

Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

And I should ask, do you know how high the coupler on you engine is in relation to where it should be?  What I mean is when it is measured against a coupler height gauge?  Not just measured against the cars.  What I am getting at, is, it may be the coupler height on the cars is too low.  That is a whole n'other kettle of fish if that is the case.
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

Jim;
My advice, for what it is worth:  Get yourself a Kadee coupler height gauge.  While you are at it, if you haven't got one already, pick up an NMRA gauge.  Also, when you do these couple height checks, ensure that the trip lever (pin) is in conformance with all parameters. this is accomplished using the base of the height gauge.  Read the paperwork included with this unit. This endeavor means being right by the book!  You will be glad you did down the line (no pun intended).
Rich C.

Doneldon

Jim-

You really can't do anything about your problem without some additional diagnosis.It's more likely that your cars have couplers at the wrong height than that your loco is the problem. I urge you to get a coupler height gauge and adjust all of your couplers to that standard. I assure you that you'll find the learning curve for couplers is a fairly easy one and you'll be on top of things quickly.
                                    -- D

RAM

It would also help if we knew what locomotive

electrical whiz kid

Ram;
Why?  There is enough diversity out there so that one would be well-advised to develop a "go-to" standard (and SOP) and modify their locomotives accordingly; then skills will be developed, and standardization will be adhered to.
Rich C.

jbrock27

I agree with Rich that making a standard as a practice, is a good idea.
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

Doneldon is right about the gauge.  Also, Kadee has a pretty comprehensive page(s) of information regarding coupler height, installation, as well as information on trucks.  As I have said before, when you do work on couplers and trucks, be very precise.  This will keep you from premature graying and increasing your "vocabulary".  I strongly urge you to go to Kadee's website, and download this information.  Even if you do not prefer Kadee's product, this will very much benefit you.

Rich C.

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

ALCO0001

Hello,
To answer your question correctly  I would need to know what you are running .There are many possible causes and possible adjustments or tricks of the hobby that I know that can give you a solution to your problem since you took the time to go to this site and ask .Sometimes it is simple as a shim or a adjustment to the trucks or a major adjustment to the frame or machine work that was not properly milled by the factory .All are fixable depending on how skilled you are or how much time you would like to invest in getting it right.
Jack

electrical whiz kid

JBrock;
What is "wow"?  I will say that one of the best investments would be a good dial caliper.  I bought a Mitsutoyo many years ago, and it works fine as a Brown and Sharp; which I also have and like.   Calipers are also a good investment.  You can find these a lot of times in a flea market, etc.
RIch C.