Spectrum DCC Ready steamers - need to change headlight bulbs?

Started by Searsport, December 02, 2014, 04:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Searsport

Hi, the DCC ready Life-Like P2K models all say you need to change the light bulbs when you fit a decoder. The Spectrum steamers do not say this, so I am wondering whether they are OK just with Bachmann decoders or with any, decoder.

Also do the lights perform optimally if not changed? I think some lights would be difficult to change as they are located between the cast chassis sides.

Also, are some of the early Spectrum steamers not DCC ready and if so if they need a different approach?

I know there is an article signposted on the DCC FAQs board about adding DCC to a DCC Ready 2-8-0, but when you follow the link it is actually about adding sound to a DCC equipped 2-8-0 by replacing the Bachmann decoder with a Tsunami, and it clearly relates to a late production model as it refers to and shows a pre-moulded speaker mounting baffle located on the tender floor of the USRA Medium Coal tender which does not exist on earlier models.

I would be grateful for any experience / views.

Thanks,
Bill.

electrical whiz kid

A standard lamp employed in older as well as DCC-ready locos will overload and blow.  Best bet?  Use an LED with a resistor in the 600ohms (my  range.  Consideration should be given to the polarity of the diode.  Improper installation will result in a non-functioning LED.  Now, an LED is really, not a load in itself; this is why you need the resistor.  My suggestion before you roll up your sleeves is to read up on this subject.  Lots of material on line.

RIch C.

Doneldon

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on December 05, 2014, 07:57:47 AM
Now, an LED is really, not a load in itself; this is why you need the resistor.RIch C.

Rich-

This isn't exactly true. LEDs are a load. It's just that they are a very small load, at least as compared to incandescent bulbs
                                                                                                                                                                           -- D