News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sierra Sound in Climax

Started by Dave, December 10, 2014, 02:40:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Merry Xmas everyone,
             I have a Climax that I purchased in 2002 and its still going well. I fitted a Sierra Sound card in it and it also was going great until recently when the sound just stopped. Battery is good, LEDs light up, good speaker, but zero sound. I have sent emails to Sierra but no reply as yet. Question is, are these card repairable?

Dave
                    New Zealand

Bucksco

The Sierra sound cards were manufactured by SoundTraxx in Colorado. They have been discontinued for some time now. Perhaps you can contact SoundTraxx and see if there are any options available.
www.soundtraxx.com

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Dave,

I loved the Sierra boards, shame they got out of large scale. They used to have a bench test procedure on their web site, but I am not sure it is still there.   You could try removing the card disconnecting the battery circuit, and connecting your track output wires to the inputs on the board.   The sierra boards were powerful and have been known to blow out a speaker, so you may have a bad speaker. Couldn't hurt to check that.   My Sierras were used and abused with never a failure on the board.  Bad connections , yes; bad speaker, yes; bad switch, yes; bad battery circuit, yes even bad "new" batteries!!!!   

Good luck with a fix, let us know what you find!!

Bill                           
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Dave

Hi Bill,
      Welcome back to the Forum. I have checked out the speaker, Battery Voltage, connections to the board and all is good. I would like to send it back to Sierra and see if they can repair it but they arn't replying to my emails. I have the right address as per their website but nothing returned as yet. I'm still hoping they might be able to do something with it as they are a great sound card. Made my old Climax come alive.

Cheers

Dave

Loco Bill Canelos

Sorry about that but i was told they no longer support or repair them, please let us know if they say otherwise.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!