News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Wheel problems...

Started by Frank0554, November 06, 2009, 05:29:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank0554

Hi

out there from Germany (sorry for my insufficient English - it's a foreign language for me).
My actual intention to join this board is a >mental<  problem I encounter nearly every time I buy a Bachmann locomotive:

On one hand, these models (especially the Spectrum ones, but most of the others as well) are very fine designed models: detailed body, durable material (metal!), countless screws, wires, electronic stuff  and accessories – fine constructions, after all.  :-*

On the other hand, few of my Bachmann steam locos show a satisfying behaviour when set to motion. Shaking up an down and from left to right they tumble all along the track – an unacceptable impression compared to the real thing – despite the weight and the size of the models.
:'(

Obviously, this is  due to eccentrically mounted wheels and axles -  and an insufficient quality control in the Chinese factory.
I wonder if other collectors share this experience. – and what they do or did to get rid of it.

Important:
This posting isn't meant to criticize Bachmann models on a big scale. Perhaps I just was unlucky. Anyway, I sold many of my Bachmanns to collectors who seem to be less interested in smooth motion on the track. Perhaps they put them into display cases where they look nice.  But as a dedicated lover of American railroads I 'm not satisfied with that.

I bought a new constructed class J some weeks ago. Unfortunately, I had to return it to the German dealer, because the silly tumbling motion was obvious, despite the new construction "digital with sound". Above this, the  sound could not be synchronized to the wheels' rotation.

Some  days ago I gave Bachmann another try. I couldn't resist to order a BACHMANN SPECTRUM 83304 H0 2-10-2 DIGITAL. As the other ones, it looked nice and detailed and was a heavy piece in my hands.  On the track: a motion close to an ocean liner in difficult weather conditions.

I won't send this locomotive back to the friendly dealer. I'll try to assemble the chassis and wheels somehow to minimize the tumbling motion.

So what? Am I too fussy about quality terms?

To put it simple: When I buy an model, I want a model – not a toy.

Above this, spare parts are difficult to get I Germany. I was told to xerox the product sheet an mark the needed parts. There is no online part ordering out here in the European wilderness...

Comments welcome,
Frank

PS: However, I'll continue collecting them... :-\

ABC

It sounds to me like you've just had an extremely bad run of luck. Your English seems great to me, after all it is better than my German. This following phase is the extent of my German... Ich liebe dich ...if I don't love whoever I'm talking to I'm out of luck...

Frank0554

Hi Abc,

your German sentence is absolutely flawless---great! You might use it in any situation whatsoever .....  success guaranteed!  ;D

Jokes aside, I've often been informed by friends in the UK and the USA that German is a terrible language to learn... a constant source  of frustration and drawbacks. For us Germans  English speaking people who try to speak German sound more common than the other way round.  But - going back to Chinese Bachmanns - 1.2 billion people speak different Chinese dialects, followed by countless people in India speaking a wide variety of local languages.  Anyway, we're a declining minority... :o

Keep it up,
Frank

bobwrgt

I understand what you are saying. I also had a 2-10-2 and the center driver was slapping the rails . Sent it back to Bachmann twice and never got it fixed. They replaced it with a Heavy mountain.
I think they leave one of the drivers designed loose to allow them to negotiate 18in radius curves. It also might be to allow poor quality control in assembly of drivers and side rods.
I also had a GS-4 and 4-8-4 that would rock and roll down the tack. With the old split frame chassie you could eliminate some of this with shims.
You would think that with all the design of new models they would have figured out how to make round wheels and a smooth drive train.
I have steam engines from Roco, Liliput, IHC, Fleischmann, Proto (life-like), Broadway Ltd.  and Hornby that never rock and roll down the track like a Bachamnn. Rivarossi will because of the traction tires but not because of the wheels.

Bob

Atlantic Central

Frank,

Your English is fine, better than some Americans I read in terms of type written word.

My spoken german is fair, but my German spelling is weak at best, so I will stick to English here.

Sorry you have had such poor results with Bachmann locos.

I have a large fleet of Bachmann spectrum locos, and have had a few duds that had to be returned.

I think that with careful examination, you will find that the cause is not out of round wheels, but rather relates to the locomotives suspension, or lack of it.

Each Bachmann model is different in this regard, some are fully sprung, while others have combinations of sprung and unsprung axles in an attempt to get good pulling, sharp curve operation and keep design and production costs down.

And, maybe your standards are higher than the rest of us. Having actually watched a number of real life steam locos pitch and sway on less than perfect track, a little unevenness is not a problem to me so long as the loco starts and stops smoothly and will run at consistant speeds throughout the speed range.

I do not have either the "J" or the 2-10-2, but I have 8 USRA Heavy Mountains, 8 2-8-0's, and 3 2-6-6-2's. All run well in my view.

From others I have spoken with, the 2-10-2 does seem to have some suspension and balance issues that make not as good running as 4-8-2H, which is a very smooth and strong pulling loco.

Contrary to some others views, I do not see where the other US brands are any better, with the exception of Proto2000 steamers, they do run extremely smooth.

BLI locos have been hit and miss for me, just as much or more than Bachmann. Not modeling anything in Europe, I have no experiance with the European brands. 

Sheldon

Frank0554

Thanks for the replies, Bob and Sheldon.

Actually, the 2-10-2 doesn't have any springs which might level the  irregularities. Above this the center  driver is the worst running axle. It doesn't slap the rails, but jumps about like a tumble dryer. Things got  slightly better after I had opened the chassis, removed the wheels and mounted some of them vice versa.

It's true fact that real steam engines don't move smoothly, due to bad tracks and the insufficient balance of power of the mechanical system. But a mainline engine shouldn't dance und shake like a third-world-banana  express.

My best running locos are a Trix Big Boy and some ROCO engines, especially those with metal wheels. There is no unwanted motion at all; you could balance an egg on their chimneys while moving along the track (I believe  ;-)   .). I hope Bachmann raises its quality control standards. I like those guys with their fat boilers and powerful appearance.

I had one English Bachman engine, an A4. That one did an excellent job on the track,. Unfortunately, English model trains are made in 00 scale, that is 1:76,2. A H0 model next to a 00 looks quite a bit different,  out of scale.

CU,
Frank

Atlantic Central

Frank, I examined the parts diagram for the 2-10-2 and was very surprised to find that none of the drivers are sprung.

That explains a lot, including the fact that it does not pull as well as the 4-8-2, which does have some drivers sprung/floating.

Not sure what lse to suggest without seeing one run in person.

Let us know what else  you find, and keep in mind that many other spectrum models do run very well.

Sheldon

Woody Elmore

Once at a train show, there was a huge LGB display. One of the cars in a train was a Beck's Beer tank car - of course it had the German spelling - bier. I was surprised to hear people say that the word was misspelled!!

My college German centered around ordering and drinking beer. I actually became fairly fluent but now, decades later, I can barely make out a word or two. 

Frank - your written English is as good as many Americans - sad to say.

I hope some of the board contributors can help you with your locomotive problem.

Jim Banner

Maybe the guy who had trouble with "bier" was related to the fellow who posted a complaint that they had misspelled "Canadian National" on one side of his new train car - somehow they had misprinted it as "Canadien National."

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

ABC

"Canadien National" is the French spelling of Canadian National, maybe for those from Quebec.

Frank0554

Hi,

meanwhile I've reduced the problem by reversing and changing the wheels to an acceptable minimum. I think I can get along with that - now. But it shouldn't be necessary  with locomotives  that detailed. In my opinion, the guys responsible for qualitiy control  could do a better job  in without raising their activity level to an uncomfortable level.

Thanks for your replies. It's always pleasing to know someone hears you crying....    :D

CU,
Frank