Question Re: B'Man 67018 diesel from an HO Neophyte

Started by Big-Al-MD, December 11, 2014, 04:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big-Al-MD

???
My grandson got flim-flamed by a salesman into buying a B'man SD40-2 engine (item 67017).  He was led into believing the engine was equipped for DCC and had sounds.  He has been into MTH O gauge for 4 years and I and comfortable with their technology.  I have been trying to decipher what he needs to build a very small layout for under the Christmas tree.  I bought a complete EZ Track layout and have ordered the B'Man Command Controller System.

My question is what will this diesel need to run on this layout under DCC?  Is a second option needed for sound or is there a combo kit that will give DCC & sound?

Thanks for any/all advice from a real neophyte to HO & DCC.

Allen

AGSB

The loco is only DCC ready. All you will need is the appropriate decoder (they can be purchased with or without sound) and if you are only going to operate it under the Christmas Tree at Christmas time then the EZ Command Controller should suffice.

Big-Al-MD

Thanks for info, but my older brain wants to verify my interpretation of this.  B'Man DCC ready just means that a plug is available for a DCC decoder that one must buy extra to be able to run on a DCC layout setup (i.e. there is no DCC decoder installed at the factory inside this model). 

Am I right?

Thanks

Doneldon

Al-

There are three (well, four, if you count no provision for DCC at all) levels of DCC equipment in B'man locos: DCC and Sound On-Board, DCC On-Board and DCC Ready. DCC and Sound On-Board means that the DCC decoder, with sound, is installed and ready to use, including a speaker for the sound. DCC On-Board means that DCC is installed and ready to use but there is no sound. DCC Ready means the loco is ready for a comparatively easy DCC installation. This generally means that there is a plug on a circuit board or a harness in the engine or tender. It used to include locos with just an electrically-isolated motor but I'm pretty sure that Bachmann isn't calling such merchandise as DCC Ready any more. If I'm mistaken on that someone else on this board will straighten me out pretty quickly.

If you have a DCC Ready loco you can "easily" install either DCC or DCC with sound. Note that you'll need a speaker for the sound; this is often located in diesel fuel tanks.

Good luck with your project and do keep us up to date on your progress.
                                                                                                             -- D

Hunt

DCC Ready means the motor brushes are isolated from the power pickups and there is some means to accept the installation of a decoder... a socket, solder pads, wires or something else.

The Bachmann online store list Item no. 67018, CSX #8833 (Dark Future) - SD40-2, as having a factory-installed 8-pin plug socket for DCC decoder installation. However, best to remove the shell to confirm.

The 8-pin plug is part of the decoder wiring harness.

Big-Al-MD

Thanks guys, that cleared this up in my mind.

I've been web searching and am having a little difficulty in finding a DCC with sound that is known to fit into the B'man SD40-2 (item 67017).  Could anyone give me manufacturer / model that will provide features for my grandson.  I don't see where the sounds have to be specific to an SD40 and would think any diesel model's sound would be okay.

Thanks for any other recommendations. 

Hopefully I'll be able to help him set every thing up for Christmas, hoping stock supplies hold up.

Al

jward

if this loco has an 8 pin socket, then any non sound decoder with an 8 pin wiring harness will work. 'you'd simply unplug the dummy plug from the 8 pin socket on the locomotive's pc board, an plug in your choice of decoder. adding sound will be much more difficult. in addition to adding a decoder, with sound you must also find somewhere to add a speaker which often means grinding away part of the chassis to make room. you' have to completely disassemble the locomotive to do this.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Big-Al-MD

Sorry for all what are probably rated as dumb questions.
Thanks again, older neophyte brains work slower & slower as days/years go by.

Here's another, will the Digitrax SDH166D Sound Decoder 8 Bit with Speaker HO Scale work with this SD40 engine giving DCC & sound?

If so, what all is entailed with its installation?

bapguy

Yes, but don't waste your money on it. It has low sound and has had some issues with the loco slowing down when the horn was blown. Digitrax has a new 16bit sound decoder. SDXN136PS. It's listed as N scale but will work in HO. It comes with a speaker and keep alive cap. It has the 8 pin connecter on it as well. This might fit better. You'll still need room for the speaker. Can you post a photo of the loco with the shell off. It might make it easier for someone  to make suggestions on where to mount the speaker.  Joe

Hunt

Big-Al-MD
You have acquired the wrong DCC system.

You will not be able to setup (program the necessary decoder CVs) any decoder (sound or without sound) you install with the Bachmann E-Z Command Control Center.  The Bachmann E-Z Command Control Center is only somewhat suitable for use with locomotive that have factory installed decoder with its features and functions already configured for the model. 

bapguy

True. But there are ways around this. If you have a hobby shop close by see if they have a DCC system they use to show how dcc works. If they do, buy the decoder from them and ask if they will program it for you. The other is to say what city and state you live in and see if someone here will help you out. Or see if there is a club close by that will help. With the dcc system you're getting, the loco address will be a 2 digit address: 01to 09 functions F0 to F8 I think. If all you're go to use the loco for is under the Christmas tree, buying another system that is better is a waste of money.   Joe

Hunt

If all the train is for is Christmas time entertainment and part of the decorations.  I suggest running as is with model railroad DC power pack and for next year seeing what is available and consider the Bachmann E-Z App Wireless Train Control system.

Click Here to view video  -- demo and a little info about the  E-Z App Wireless Train Control system

Big-Al-MD

Guys, Thanks for all suggestions.  Unfortunately there no train/hobby shops near me.  There is one half way to my grandson's house which is where he bought this engine.  I'll call them & see what kind of deal/service they can provide.

Joe the engine is at his house so can't take picture.  He's due to come to my house tomorrow and I'll try to get him to bring it here so I can photo.

Just like the PC world I had to deal with, "Too Many Choices", good news and bad news.

Thanks Again
Al

Doneldon

Al--

It's certainly reasonable for you to ask the store which sold the loco to help you get it reprogrammed. However, I must say
that I think it is unethical to expect that other stores or even other modelers should be willing to do this for you. I know you
haven't done this yet; I'm just sharing my feeling on the matter before you must make the decision.
                                                                                                                                                     -- D

jbrock27

I don't get it Doc, what would be unethical about someone trying to help Big Al out??
Keep Calm and Carry On