News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Old Turnouts?

Started by deg23deg, December 11, 2014, 07:49:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deg23deg

Hello,

I wonder if anyone can point me to where I can find the HO Scale Bachmann EZ-track turnouts with the push switch in the attached photo. All I seem to find are ones with the slider (that would go in the top left hole in the photo) but I want the one that you actually push (from left to right) back and forth to switch -

Thank you!
David

deg23deg

couldn't attach a photo, but it's a lever that goes back and forth - not the slider on the side that has the wiring -

NarrowMinded

Not having the photo makes it hard to help,

The EZ track turnouts all come with the manual slide switch built in, I have not seen non-electrified ez track turn outs for sale.

Your description sounds like a very old (not ez track)  bachmann turnout. If that's the case you should google "ho scale manual switch machine"

Hopefully this helps, or maybe someone will chime it.

Nm-jeff

deg23deg

It's definitely EZ track - the bachmann parts folks told me to ask here, because they don't sell them any more. It's the manual turnout that doesn't have the wiring -

WoundedBear

Quote from: deg23deg on December 13, 2014, 01:11:55 PM
It's definitely EZ track - the bachmann parts folks told me to ask here, because they don't sell them any more. It's the manual turnout that doesn't have the wiring -

Ask here for what? It sounds like you're trying to acquire some of these old relics?

Bachmann wouldn't have told you to ask here for out of production stock, because they prohibit members from buying and selling anything on this site. Have you tried Ebay for someone selling old junk?

Sid

deg23deg

Hm. Here's the reply from them:

On Dec 11, 2014, at 12:46 PM, Parts Team <parts@bachmanntrains.com> wrote:

The last of those types of turnouts were available in older style track expander packs. I do not believe they are still included as most are with the other type of switching and have wiring.
You could try checking with other users on the Bachmann Forum to see if they have any reserves of old turnouts available or sources of their own.

jbrock27

If deg is looking for old relics, he's come to the right place (lmao!) :D
Keep Calm and Carry On

James in FL

QuoteOn Dec 11, 2014, at 12:46 PM, Parts Team <parts@bachmanntrains.com> wrote:

The last of those types of turnouts were available in older style track expander packs. I do not believe they are still included as most are with the other type of switching and have wiring.
You could try checking with other users on the Bachmann Forum to see if they have any reserves of old turnouts available or sources of their own.

Perhaps someone here does have some old ones, certainly doesn't hurt to ask.
Hopefully you find what you are looking for.
Many railroad forums have buy/sell/trade.
Google is your friend.
eBay is an option.
Craigslist?
If you can get to a train show, look under the tables.

I can't offer anything more as I model n scale. We never had wireless (manual only) EZ-track turnouts, from the beginning they have always been powered, and should be. If no applied power, the points float, generally the spring alone is not rigid enough to hold the points against the stock rail reliably.
Must be a HO thing.
Our turnout has been revised many times since its introduction, 4 maybe 5 times.
Silly thing, still has the same part number from the start.

Good luck in your quest

deg23deg

Ok - thank you.

BTW, your response brings up another question I've had and haven't been able to find any answers to online. Are there any secrets or tips to replacing track that's already been ballasted? I can't find any advice or forums online about it. I recently finished ballasting track and need to replace one section of it, but it would mean not only taking up that piece but in order to separate EZ track, you have to pull it apart, so it means taking up many pieces to get the spacing to separate. Would love advice on doing this, as it hasn't been going great -

Thank you!

Hunt

One way to replace track

Use model railroad Track Saw to cut through the section of track to be removed. Use a block of wood to hold down the track and guide the saw.

Since you are using Bachmann E-Z track, remove the rail joiners and all plastic tabs connectors from the replacement section (if replacing only one section).  Secure the new section in place and solder wire (or small strip of metal) to the outside of the rails where rail joiners would be. 

jbrock27

deg, I bet you could also use a Dremel or Dremel knock off tool, using the metal cutting disc to cut the rails.  Then use a fine tooth hacksaw blade to cut through the rest (plastic).
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

How many of those turnouts and which side are you looking for? I may still have some, will have to check my spare track bin.
I know for sure one is dismantled as I was using it to test different wire spring strengths. That's a whole other story.
Jerry

jbrock27

Ole St. Nick has arrived ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On

NarrowMinded

You can keep an eye out for old.sets, they also had the manual turnouts.