Main Menu

New Ho train Kit

Started by MrMoose, December 13, 2014, 12:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdgrant6

Quote from: jbrock27 on March 13, 2015, 10:46:46 PM
Moosie, 3 lead or 2 lead bi-color LEDs?

I'm afraid I need a Rosetta stone to get through this comment. :D

But the idea (as far as I can follow it) sounds terrific, being able to see how the switch is thrown.

jbrock27

You should not have to Ken
Some LEDs have 3 legs and some LEDs have 2 legs.  I know of Bi-Color ones that have 2 legs and can be used in the manner that Moosie described.  I am just trying to confirm with Moosie what he truly used and that he did not accidentally misspeak about what he had used for my own future use and information, bc, check out my man Chuck Baker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO2tDVWiUIo
Keep Calm and Carry On

MrMoose

I am using 3 lead bi-color LEDs. This is what the designer said to use on his switch panel.

jbrock27

Thanks for clarifying.
Can you describe how you wired them up?
Thank you.
Keep Calm and Carry On

kdgrant6

Thanks, Jim, for the clarification. 

You had commented a couple of weeks ago about Baker.  I watched all of his long video on operating his layout.  Very instructive.   I plan to watch all of his videos in time. 

I began watching the video you mentioned in this thread.  I think I'll be able to follow the details later. There's just so much to learn.  I'm just trying to work my way through it.

An old friend of mine--whom I haven't seen in awhile-- is a retired electrician and a semi-maven of things electronic.  I need get him to come over.

jbrock27

My pleasure Ken.  Chuck's an honest Joe and a good dude who tries to be helpful to anyone he can.  No pretense about him.  I like that when he displays something, that it is not about "hey look what I did-please heep praise on me"; it's about him trying to pass along how to do something to someone else, that he feels would be helpful.

I hope Moose gets back to me (us).  I would like to learn about this w/o having to buy the product from Mr. Stapleton.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

Moose, you don't have to get back to me on the wiring.  I looked it up on the PDF Stapleton has about it.
Keep Calm and Carry On

MrMoose

Quote from: jbrock27 on March 14, 2015, 09:55:39 AM
Moose, you don't have to get back to me on the wiring.  I looked it up on the PDF Stapleton has about it.

I'm using 3 lead bi-color leds soldered together with the lead from green and red opposite from each other, so when the switch is thrown one way green will show the thru position and red shows the diversion position. Then when I throw the switch the other way, red will show on the thru position and green shows the diversion position.

jward

in this application it is far easier to use 3 lead leds than 2 lead ones. the 3 lead ones are red and green leds wired in parallel, with a common return. the 2 lead ones are red green leds wired opposite to each other so that when you switch polarity they switch colours. 2 leads are useful for polarity detectors, or as indicator lights for tortoise type switch motors. but it is difficult to use them with the standard twin coil switch motors that Bachmann, atlas, peco and others use.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

Thank you both for the add'l info.

Jeff, sent you a PM yesterday Re: Railroadiana.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

Would not using 2 lead Bi-colour LEDs work using this method with an Atlas Relay? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iUp-x1M7OU

Looks pretty straight forward and simple to me.  Plus, it would not cost $30+ per unit.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

it would but you would use both sets of contacts on the snap relay. using 3 lead leds will allow you to get by with only one set of contacts, leaving the other free for another function like powering a frog. I know that in this modern era there is a push to make everything more complicated. but that is not always the best way. if you can keep the circuit simple, you can understand and troubleshoot it better.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

I agree with your point and that approach wholeheartedly.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

MrMoose

Thanks, and to you also... :)