News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Big Hauler 4-6-0 pilot truck unattached

Started by juliasuz, December 14, 2014, 12:08:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

juliasuz

This Christmas the locomotive pilot truck came unattached when I took it out of the box.  It was on its last leg last year and I taped the red and black wires and got it working.  Now the pilot truck is completely removed and I'm not sure how to connect the wires back so that it runs correctly.

I have a black and red wire and then their are two metal points to attach the wires to. Does it matter which wires are attached to which points?  I can see the arrow and place the pilot truck in the right direction but need more info on how to reattach the pilot truck wires.

Thank you for your help.

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Juliasuz ,
Sorry you are having a problem, yes it does matter which wire goes where.   That is why there is the arrow on the truck.  You can take a chance and hook up the wires then put the loco on the track with the arrow facing forward.  If you got lucky the loco will run fine if not there will be a short. if there is a short either reverse the wires, or just rotate the truck so the arrow faces to the rear and the loco should be fine!!  Another posibility is to just tape the wires up out of the way, being careful not to let the ends touch reinstall the truck and the loco should run fine, but would pick up power only from the main driving wheels

Good luck and have fun!!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

juliasuz

Thank u so much.  I was able to hot glue it back and placed the wires and it works.  Should I soder the wires back on?  Right now they  are just touching because I wanted to make sure  it worked.

Always a brings me a smile when the train starts working again.  Happy holidays!!!

Loco Bill Canelos

Good idea with the hot Glue, but soldering it is best!  Glad you got it going !!!!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!