News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

SAL Orange Blossom Express

Started by seanu, October 22, 2007, 04:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seanu

This service which ran from NY to Miami started in 1925. Does anyone know what engine would have been used when the service started? Also, does anyone know the color scheme of the early coaches?

Thanks!

Conrail Quality

Pre- 1933, from NY to Manhattan Transfer, NJ, it would have been pulled by a DD-1 or L5a third-rail electric, with a K4 Pacific pulling it to Washington. Post 1933, it would have been pulled by a P5a or GG-1 overhead wire electric from NY to Washington.
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

SteamGene

I just used my old field artillery skills and looked at a map.  It's a long, long way from DC to Miami! :D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Conrail Quality

Quote from: SteamGene on October 22, 2007, 07:46:42 PM
I just used my old field artillery skills and looked at a map.  It's a long, long way from DC to Miami! :D
Gene

There's no catenary from DC to Miami, so it isn't part of the known world ;D.
Timothy

SteamGene

Again, going back to my field artillery training, RTP.  (Read the Problem.)  Neither cantenaries nor third rails were mentioned in the request.  I think that SAL didn't have track that went north beyond Richmond, Virginia.
Chief Brass Hat

Conrail Quality

Quote from: SteamGene on October 22, 2007, 08:42:39 PM
Again, going back to my field artillery training, RTP.  (Read the Problem.)  Neither cantenaries nor third rails were mentioned in the request.  I think that SAL didn't have track that went north beyond Richmond, Virginia.

This service which ran from NY to Miami started in 1925. Does anyone know what engine would have been used when the service started? Also, does anyone know the color scheme of the early coaches?

Thanks!

By law, all trains entering NYC must be electrically powered. Therfore, regardless of whether or not they were mentioned in the original post; when discussing the motive power of a NYC-bound train, the electrics must be mentioned. And yes, the SAL stopped at Richmond. The Orange Blossom went on the RF&P to Washington and the PRR to NYC.
Timothy

the Bach-man

Dear Seanu,
At the outset, SAL power was very likely a Pacific, and the cars would have been Pullman Green.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Woody Elmore

The name of the train was "Orange Blossom Special." It went from New York to Washington via the PRR. Through Washington and into Virginia it was powered by engines from the Richmond, Fredricksburg and Potomac (RF&P). I'm not sure exactly when it received SAL locomotives but Richmond might be a good guess. The last leg of the trip was done on the Florida East Coast Railway.

The train was started in 1925 and was  an all pullman luxury train. In 1938 it became the first passenger train to be completely air conditioned.

As for kinds of locomotives used, that would depend on the era. In the post war years it was pulled by EMD passenger diesels. I have a book about the train in the attic so I don't want to speak offhand but it may have been powered by E-6 and later E-7 type locomotives. These engines were pullman green and had lemon yellow and orange striping - these colors to honor Florida citrus! SAL passenger cars were pullman green. I assume the cars behind the diesels we painted to match. In later years the consists may have been mixed with some aluminum fluted cars used in the run.

There is a country music classic with the train title. It has been done by many country greats including Johnny Cash. My favorite version is by Roy Acuff. All Aboard!

seanu

Thanks everyone... That K4 looks like a very nice engine. Probably a little too big for my layout though (along with those Pullmans).

Woody Elmore

By the way, the PRR often put two K-4 engines on long passenger trains. During the war my dad remembered seeing a passenger train loaded with troops - it had two engines up front and one in the middle. The engineers communicated by whistle.

The RF&P had big northerns and I assume those would have used to take the train to Richmond. The SAL had  Q class mikados and M-2 class Northerns so most likely the train would have been pulled by one of the two types.

The SAL may have operated their engines over FEC trackage to Miami. This would have been a problem because FEC was notoriously anti-union and unionized crews didn't like operating over the FEC.

The book about the SAL I have is "Seaboard: the Route of Courteous Service" and the last name of the author is William E. Griffin, Jr. I have no idea if it is still in print. There are also several books about SAL motive power.

SteamGene

I imagine that the SAL would have used Pacifics or "Northerns" and not a Mike for the OBS.  SAL had tracks to Richmond, but not beyond.  The RF&P stopped going south at Richmond, IIRC.  There's a rather famous crossing in Richmond with the C&O on top on a long viaduct, the SAL/ACL (iirc) in the middle and the Southern running on the ground, in the street, under the C&O. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Atlantic Central

The Seaboard had EMD E3's, E6's and lots of E7's. Before that most major passenger trains (including the Orange Blossom Special) pulled by their several classes of 4-8-2's.

Sheldon