News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Ok, I'm hooked, now what?

Started by Fxguy1, December 14, 2014, 09:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fxguy1

Hello everyone!

So I was out shopping for a Christmas present for my soon to be 15 month old son and since he likes Dinosaur Train I thought maybe he'd like an actual train set. We had gotten him the Thomas and Friends wooden railway and while he sort of likes it, he's not that into having to push the train himself. So I happened across a Bachman Thomas and Friends Troublesome Tracks set in the Scratch and Dent section of the local hobby store. It was basically just the track and controlled. It was missing the locomotive and the two cars. I then happened to find the James locomotive and car for it and after it was all said and done I got the set for $75 (also with a Thomas and Friends wooden railway 15 pc expansion set).

So I got a great deal! I get it home and put it together and its missing the power connector that snaps on the track. So I took a couple of insulated wires from an electronics kit and made the connection and low and behold it works great! Best part is the laughter from my son as he watches it go around. :-)

Anyways, now I'm hooked on the idea of model railroads..... So, where do I start? I know this is a Large Scale set and so I was looking at perhaps getting a small HO scale set to start off with and go from there. Any suggestions? I'm more drawn by the system of track and control and the possibilities of railroad crossings and bridges and tunnels than I am about the locomotives themselves. I mean just not that into historical accuracy as I am more of the "fun" part of just building.

So any suggestions? Also don't want to break the bank (which looks all too easy to do in this hobby! )
Also suggestions for my son to at least let him explore the trains and if he likes it be able to "grow" into more sophisticated setups. I don't want to "force" him to like something his dad likes if he's just not into it, but want to foster that I will be into whatever he is into. :-)

Thanks guys!

Doneldon

FX-

Welcome to the fraternity of model rails. (Yes, women are welcome, too!)

Your son will grow to like pushing his trains more than just watching them. I've built Thomas set-ups for several grandsons. All of them enjoyed running the trains with their battery motors but they really got into pushing them around even more when thy were about three to six years old. Then they started gravitating to more realistic trains and the Thomas sets were sold as they moved into actual HO trains on electrified track.

I urge you to hit a couple of model shops, model railroad clubs and/or train shows to get a feel for what the different scales offer and what you prefer. This will help you learn about space needs and costs, important matters for most of us. It will also help you to decide if you want to watch trains run or operate your layout like an actual railroad with customers and schedules. And, you'll find yourself spending more time watching certain kinds of trains. Perhaps the early, quirky trains will catch your fancy. Or maybe you'll most enjoy today's huge diesels, or the prime years of steam, or the transition from steam to diesel, or narrow gauge trains or ??? Of course, there are also places to model -- a more complex issue than urban, rural or mountain railroading.

You'll soon identify your likes and like mores. Then you can begin exploring things like space needs, costs and the availability of the equipment you want in the scale you wish to model.

I've been an HO modeler for over 50 years. There are three main reasons for this: the widest selection of products, familiarity and, for me, a reasonable compromise between space needs and availability. My brother and I had Lionel trains before the HO, and I've dabbled in large scale a bit. I have no O-scale anymore and the only large scale I have is a Christmas tree set-up.

Oh, yes, there is one more factor to consider: How well do the various scales match the strength of your eyes and the fatness of your fingers. I have noticed in recent years that HO parts are smaller than they used to be, and my fingers have grown chubbier.

Welcome to model railroading and this board. Please keep us up to date with your progress.
                                                                                                                                         -- D

Bucksco

You may want to start by doing a little bit of reading. Pick up a few "Basics of model railroading" books and plot your course:
you can find some at the link below and do an internet search for other possibilities.

http://www.kalmbachstore.com/modeltrains-railroading-model-railroading-books-getting-started-series.html

jward

it is possible to build a mode railroad system without breaking the bank. start with a sturdy table, and a modest track plan, and add to it when you get time and money. those of us on this forum will be ore than happy to provide guidance. there is a wealth of experience on this forum, different folks have different areas of expertise, and together we can usually get to the bottom of any problems you run into.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Fxguy1

Thanks for the information!

So I visited the local library and pulled some of the recommended books for further reading. Is there a good source to find / research local lines / trains?

Thanks!

Albert in N

Other forums run by modelers have helped me.  My favorite is TheRailwire, but I also view others.  Google "Model Railroad Forums",  "N scale forums", "HO scale forums" or "TheRailwire" or "Trainboard".  Many postings of models and layouts also have photos including prototype (real) railroads.  Be aware that these are adult forums and sometimes contain language that might be offensive.   Also you can Google your favorite railroad, including ones no longer in business.  Most railroads have scores of fans who share photos and information.

Also attend train shows in your area.  These are great sources of information and fun.  Be aware that some of the used items can include overpriced junk.  Know your prices for new items of interest (local hobby shop or online stores) and carefully examine anything that tempts you at a train show. 

James in FL

Google is your friend, also check out your local historical society.

jward

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jerrys HO

Quote from: Fxguy1 on December 14, 2014, 09:25:23 PM
Hello everyone!
Best part is the laughter from my son as he watches it go around. :-)
Anyways, now I'm hooked on the idea of model railroads..... So, where do I start? I know this is a Large Scale set and so I was looking at perhaps getting a small HO scale set to start off with and go from there. Any suggestions? I'm more drawn by the system of track and control and the possibilities of railroad crossings and bridges and tunnels than I am about the locomotives themselves. I mean just not that into historical accuracy as I am more of the "fun" part of just building.

So any suggestions? Also don't want to break the bank (which looks all too easy to do in this hobby! )
Also suggestions for my son to at least let him explore the trains and if he likes it be able to "grow" into more sophisticated setups. I don't want to "force" him to like something his dad likes if he's just not into it, but want to foster that I will be into whatever he is into. :-)

Thanks guys!

FX,
I see you are more like a very few others and me,  where you are not so much into historical accuracy. I love to run trains and build the scenery. Everyone that visits my railroad does not have a clue that "an SD70ACE did not run in the early 70's".
Not knowing much about railroads I have been building layouts for years mostly O scale but now HO.
Which ever route you choose whether it's prototypical or not, the MOST IMPORTANT thing is to enjoy having FUN with your SON.
My son was not into railroading but I did find that he is interested in r/c cars. For now I am back into r/c's having a blast with him and occasionally I get to the garage to have a little quiet time with my trains (they sure do miss me ;)).
If you get a chance check this thread out I started awhile back, there are many folks who shared their skills with the rest of us. ENJOY and do what you like, as you will find a lot of praise and a few that will have their own way of doing things.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,20416.0.html

Jerry

RAM

Model railroader has just come at will a book on small layouts.  They take up little room and you can spend many hours enjoying your layout.  That is if you enjoy switching. 

Doneldon

FX-

If you know the railroads which operated in the area which interests you,
do a search for them. Virtually all major railroads and most regional lines
have historical societies which are wonderful resources.
                                                                                    -- D

RAM

create your own short line.  Buy used out dated units.  paint out the road name and number and put your rr name and renumber.  That way you can buy units that are on sale.

Fxguy1

Quote from: jward on December 20, 2014, 12:40:19 AM
where is local?

Local is Champaign, IL.
Quote from: Doneldon on December 20, 2014, 04:44:56 PM
FX-

If you know the railroads which operated in the area which interests you,
do a search for them. Virtually all major railroads and most regional lines
have historical societies which are wonderful resources.
                                                                                    -- D

This is kinda what I am trying to do. I did come across this so far: http://www.cumtd.com/about-us/history/railroads

Quote from: Jerrys HO on December 20, 2014, 07:48:57 AM

FX,
I see you are more like a very few others and me,  where you are not so much into historical accuracy. I love to run trains and build the scenery. Everyone that visits my railroad does not have a clue that "an SD70ACE did not run in the early 70's".
Not knowing much about railroads I have been building layouts for years mostly O scale but now HO.
Which ever route you choose whether it's prototypical or not, the MOST IMPORTANT thing is to enjoy having FUN with your SON.
My son was not into railroading but I did find that he is interested in r/c cars. For now I am back into r/c's having a blast with him and occasionally I get to the garage to have a little quiet time with my trains (they sure do miss me ;)).
If you get a chance check this thread out I started awhile back, there are many folks who shared their skills with the rest of us. ENJOY and do what you like, as you will find a lot of praise and a few that will have their own way of doing things.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,20416.0.html

Jerry

Yes, I'm actually thinking of doing two different layouts. I have room in the basement to allow for it. I'm thinking of doing a historical setup based on the routes in the area, or possibly my hometown of Joliet, IL as opposed to Champaign, IL. And the other I'd love to do a setup using the miniatures from my fantasy board games including building a steampunk locomotive.

Thanks everyone for the info and support! Its been really helpful. Once I can figure out the historical track, I'll be in need of some advice as to the best "set" to get started with.

Thanks!
Tim aka Fxguy

Fxguy1

I also was meaning to ask, is there a site out there that is like google maps, but for railroads?

jward

champaign is on the Illinois central isn't it? try the Illinois railway museum or the ic historical society. you can also search www.fallenflags.org for photos of the ic.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA