News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

E-Z Command

Started by Red Barrel, December 15, 2014, 11:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Barrel

My E-Z Command controller recently burned out after about three years use and so I replaced it with a new one but this burned out almost immediately.  I run a mixture of DCC and analog engines - both the burn-outs occurred running the latter.  Would I be better off running the analogs via a DC controller powered from the DC output on the E-Z controller rather than using channel 10?

jward

running dc locomotives on dcc shouldn't burn out the controller, but it could burn out the motors in the locomotives. since your controllers are burning out, I would double checque your wiring, because it sounds like something is overloading your controllers. what locomotives were you running when they stopped working? the ez command is rated at 1 am, and some older locomotives are known to draw more then that.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Red Barrel

Thanks for your response - I checked the wiring and plugged in a DC controller and that works okay.  I was running British Hornby locos at the time of both burn-outs so maybe they were overloading!

Hunt

An aside ...
FYI
The power on the rails is DCC whether controlling the analog locomotive with address 10 on the E-Z Command Control Center or attaching a compatible DC power pack to the E-Z Command Control Center to control the analog locomotive.

rogertra

Quote from: Hunt on December 16, 2014, 11:46:04 PM
An aside ...
FYI
The power on the rails is DCC whether controlling the analog locomotive with address 10 on the E-Z Command Control Center or attaching a compatible DC power pack to the E-Z Command Control Center to control the analog locomotive.

Err, technically for DCC it's AC to the rails.  The decoder in the locomotive converts it back to DC to power the DC motor.

There's no such thing as DCC electricity.  DCC is the electronic packages sent over the AC current to the decoder in the locomotive which then decodes the electronic packages and makes the loco move and all the bells and whistles work.  :)

Rather like DMX that is used to control dimmers, moving lights and LED lighting fixtures seen in theatres and concerts these days.

Cheers.

Roger T.

Hunt

Roger T.
General speaking DCC is AC to the rails. However, there are many types of AC waveforms and technically DCC is an alternating DC waveform containing digital information.

For the technical details Click Here for S-9.1  NMRA Electrical Standards for Digital Command Control

For how a locomotive without a decoder installed can be controlled using DCC, research zero bit stretching. Not all DCC systems have this feature. Bachmann E-Z Command Control Center does but Dynamis does not.

Red Barrel

Thanks for the info - that explains how DCC fitted locos can still run using a DC controller, which is something I've wondered about!  :)

Ken G Price

Quote from: Red Barrel on December 17, 2014, 07:23:56 PM
Thanks for the info - that explains how DCC fitted locos can still run using a DC controller, which is something I've wondered about!  :)

Only if they have DC compatible decoder, which all newer decoders are, at least for the last 10 years as far as I have read. The first few years of decoders did not have this feature.
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

NarrowMinded

It strange that you have burned out these units they have overload protectiong and after the over heat they should start working again after a few minutes once they cool down.

I would put a volt meter on your house power to see if its running hi.

Nm-Jeff

ACY

Quote from: Ken G Price on December 17, 2014, 09:03:17 PM

Only if they have DC compatible decoder, which all newer decoders are, at least for the last 10 years as far as I have read. The first few years of decoders did not have this feature.
Actually they still make many decoders that only run on DCC, it is mainly the case with sound decoders but some economy decoders are still made that will not run on DC. All of Bachmann's decoders are dual mode, however I have some Atlas H-16-44s that only run on DCC and a Mantua 2-6-6-2 with sound that only runs on DCC.

Ken G Price

Quote from: ACY on December 18, 2014, 10:46:12 AM
Quote from: Ken G Price on December 17, 2014, 09:03:17 PM

Actually they still make many decoders that only run on DCC, it is mainly the case with sound decoders but some economy decoders are still made that will not run on DC. All of Bachmann's decoders are dual mode, however I have some Atlas H-16-44s that only run on DCC and a Mantua 2-6-6-2 with sound that only runs on DCC.

Always seems to be an exception. :o
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

jward

also be aware that even in dual mode decoders, the analog conversion feature may be disabled by the user, rendering it useless on dc. this is something yu would mainly find on secondhand locomotives.

why would you disable the dc feature? sometimes after a system reset or interruption of power from the command station, on startup the decoder will read the track voltage and assume it is running on dc. when this happens it sees the constant dcc track voltage as "full steam ahead" and you have to turn off power to get it to stop.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA