News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Operate DCC equipped F7 on 12v DC?

Started by steve1t, April 12, 2015, 11:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve1t

I would like to purchase one of the new N F7 DCC equipped locos - will it operate on 12v DC as well?

Mike C

Yes . The decoder is able to recognize both DC and DCC . It may not run as well on DC though , sometimes the slow speed performance is a bit different between DC and DCC . If you have a DCC system you should be able to adjust the DCC settings so that it will run better on DC . Usually adjusting CV 2 to 0 will make it run better on DC current . Look here...... http://spookshow.net/loco/bachf7.html

steve1t

Thanks Mike C.  This loco looks perfect for my grandson's DC layout and useful for DCC on my layout, too!

brokemoto

These things have very good slow speed control on DC.   I am not a DCC user, so I can not make too many comments on how they perform on DCC.   In fact, the slow speed performance of B-mann decoder equipped power on DC has gotten better with each new release.  I wonder if they use different decoders on each new release.   The doodlebug and the F-7 are the best yet.

Sadly, it seems that the decoders on the F-7 do not stand up well to DC.  I have fried both decoders on the two recent issue F-7s that I have.  These decoders fried in normal running at twenty five SMPH.   There were no conflicting cricuits or shorts, they just stopped.   When I bypassed the decoder and put electric to the motor, it turned.   Thus, I concluded that the decoder had gone sour.   To me, this was no big deal, as I know how to remove the decoder and wire it for DC--it is a simple task.   They are excellent runners with the decoder removed, as well.   In fact, the recent release of the F-7s as a Standard Line product is the best, yet.   The PLUS had the gear cracking problems.   The SPECTRUM version was an improvement, but the slow speed control left something to be desired.   The Standard Line version is very good.