News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Cuban railways

Started by railexpert, December 18, 2014, 03:33:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

railexpert

Hello

The relaxation between the United States and Cuba are good news for Narrow Gauge Fans. In Cuba are hundreds of American NG locos in service or displayed. I want go there und visit the railroads.
Search at YouTube for Cuban railway and you will find many examples.

Railexpert

traingeek

I am afraid you are a bit late, basically all regular service steam is gone.  Refer to Rob Dickinson's international working steam website for updates about special trains that occasionally run.  However, you are right that the relaxation may be good for railfans as perhaps locos will be available for sale if Helms Burton act can be repealed.  There are some real American made treasures there, although most were run until they were really worn out.  Made a trip in 2001 and it was a real window to the past. 

Skarloey Railway

Luckily, British and other rail enthusiasts have been visiting Cuba for decades so what was there has at least been filmed and photographed.

Here's what's there
http://www.steamlocomotive.info/country.cfm?which=cuba

all 513 of them.

ebtnut

Impressive list given the presumed difficulty in assembling the info.  One of the on-going mysteries is what happened to EBT 2-6-2 No. 11.  It was requisitioned by the U.S. government during WWII, like some of the Rio Grande's locos, but no one seems to know where it went.  There has been speculation that she might have gone to Cuba but there's no hard evidence.  Almost no pics in the list of any of the 2-6-2's and no builder's data. 

railexpert

Hello

Meanwhile I was in Cuba. It is great, but the most of the steam locos are only displayed on streets and places, because the sugar plantations are mostly claused. Only a few locos are steaming. There whole railway traffic is very small. In Habana there is a railway museum in the old "Cristina" station with standard and narrow gauge locos and cars. Cuba is a beautiful country with poor, but nice People, good rum and cigars.

Railexpert

:)