News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Transformer voltage

Started by chappy66, December 17, 2014, 02:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chappy66

Thanks for this forum.... I've recently purchased piece by piece) the American Flyer set I had as a young boy and plan to display it on a 21' long shelf. I am planning to have the locomotive headlight, the caboose,  the searchlight car and a #760 bumper illuminated on this straight track.  

I have used a Bachman transformer from another train set and it powers all but the bumper. The first time I attached the bumper, the red bulb fried itself. Incorrect voltage???? The Bachman transformer produces a max of 17 volts A.C.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Doneldon

chappy-

Congratulations on recovering your childhood train. That's Cool?

You have a mismatch between the track current and your bulb. I suggest getting a higher voltage bulb or installing a resistor
which will keep the right voltage bulb from instantly burning out. It's not possible to give the size of the resistor without knowing
the voltage on your track and the voltage of the bulb you wish to use.
                                                                                                          -- D

Joe Satnik

Chappy,

"..1447R--- red 18-volt, small-globe bulbs, used in bumpers..."

From this website:

http://www.portlines.com/portlinesclinic22.htm

Guessing that your old bulb was near the end of it's life. 

A new one should work fine with 17 Volts.

If there is any way to gradually apply power, or work at a reduced voltage, your bulbs should last longer.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.