Most powerful HO engine/What are the engines with dual motors called?

Started by jjdog33, December 18, 2014, 11:24:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjdog33

I am new to model trains, well, I should say we, as it is me and my 4 year old son.  We have a decent sized track layout and like 4-5 engines with maybe 30 or so rolling stock.  I wanted to know what the engines with dual motors are called, and whats the most powerful Ho engine I can buy (something bachmann or that will run on bachmann e-z track.  Thanks

jward

al ho trains will run n ez track, but the larger engines and cars will have trouble on sharper curves? what is the radius of your curves?

the dual motor diesel is the dda40x, and the real ones were the biggest ever built.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

You may have to revise your aspirations then and go with 4 axle diesels and at the max, shortest of the 6 axle diesels (although the 6 axles may appear with to run with more "overhang" around the 18" R curves and may therefore look a little funny).
Keep Calm and Carry On

JimJim

Hello and welcome!

Sounds like you've got a great pike and a great way to spend time with your son.

You didn't mention if you're running DC or DCC.

Rather than having one huge locomotive you might consider stringing several smaller locomotives together. This is known as consisting or MU (Multiple Unit).

A single 8-axle DDa40X is rated at 6,600 hp, a GP-40 (4-axle) is rated at 3,000 hp and a GP-30 (4-axle) at 2,250 hp. So two GP-40's would come close to the hp rating of a Dda40X and would be able to negotiate the 18" curves.

You can go to THE DIESEL SHOP website (http://www.thedieselshop.us/index.html) to look up the specs of different locomotives and power ratings.

To MU you'll need locomotives that run at the same speed. Generally locomotives of the same type and manufacturer run pretty closely together, but not always.

If you're running DC you'll need to find out which of your locomotives run at similar speeds. You can do this by timing each locomotive around a loop. If you are running DCC you might be able to speed match these electronically.

Google Speed Matching.

I have 15" radius curves on my pike and with a consist of three GP-40's I've had no problems.

Hope this helps.
"Uhh...I didn't know it was 'impossible' I just made it work...sorry!"

ACY

GN.2-6-8-0

and in case your speaking of the steam type of engine with as you say two motors that would be the articulated  which has not two motors but two engines ;D

Rocky Lives

ACY

Quote from: GN.2-6-8-0 on December 18, 2014, 05:52:23 PM
and in case your speaking of the steam type of engine with as you say two motors that would be the articulated  which has not two motors but two engines ;D
Articulated steam locomotives in HO scale often times have two motors inside.

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

GN.2-6-8-0

Quote from: ACY on December 18, 2014, 09:49:36 PM
Quote from: GN.2-6-8-0 on December 18, 2014, 05:52:23 PM
and in case your speaking of the steam type of engine with as you say two motors that would be the articulated  which has not two motors but two engines ;D
Articulated steam locomotives in HO scale often times have two motors inside.

Actually articulates with twin motors  are quite rare ,though Westside did several and they also did a triplex with 3......2 in the superstructure and 1 in the tender.
Rocky Lives

ACY

Quote from: GN.2-6-8-0
Actually articulates with twin motors  are quite rare ,though Westside did several and they also did a triplex with 3......2 in the superstructure and 1 in the tender.
They seem rather common at the club I belong to, most of the braas articulated locomotives at our club have two motors. One guy alone has over 20 such locomtives. Maybe you haven't seen many or weren't aware other brassmanufacturers also put two motors in.

GN.2-6-8-0

Very interesting' I've only come across a few ,always thought it would be a good idea as the one I had a Virginian 2-8-8-0 by Westside could pull the ties behind it up lol think PFM may have built a few though never came across one.
Would appreciate any information as to builders etc. just for my own knowledge.

Thanks Larry.
Rocky Lives

ACY

Quote from: GN.2-6-8-0 on December 19, 2014, 01:47:40 PM
Very interesting' I've only come across a few ,always thought it would be a good idea as the one I had a Virginian 2-8-8-0 by Westside could pull the ties behind it up lol think PFM may have built a few though never came across one.
Would appreciate any information as to builders etc. just for my own knowledge.
Tonight is the Christmas party, so if I am able to make it (not feeling too well), I will ask the guy that has the large brass collection.

Len

Going back to the original question, some time back we used a Bachmann two motor DD40AX to pull a 120 car train on a club layout at a local train show. Other locos used had some wheel slip before they started moving. The DD40AX pretty much went, "Train, what train?", and just went when power was applied.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

Now, if Jdog has a club size layout at his house to run it on, he'll be all set...
Keep Calm and Carry On