I Have Four Christmas Train Sets - Looking For Info

Started by canalzonekid, December 18, 2014, 02:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canalzonekid

I recently discovered four Bachmann Large Scale Christmas Train Sets that I purchased several years ago. They are all in excellent shape and are still in their original, unopened boxes. The sets I have are:

*  Wonderland Flyer 4-6-0 Locomotive w/tender, operating headlight, smoke and speed-synched steam sound
*  North Star Express 4-6-0 Locomotive w/tender, operating headlight, smoke and speed-synched steam sound
*  Northern Lights w/multi-colored LED accent lights
*  Holiday Special Train and Trolley Set (2 sets in 1)

I queried the Bachmann website to obtain any info on these sets, but, the only one I could find was the Wonderland Flyer. Bachmann apparently charged $500 for the set and no longer has any in stock.

I'm interested in finding out why the Bachmann website doesn't even recognize the 3 sets aside from the Wonderland Flyer. After all, they are Bachmann items. Also, I'd be interested in ascertaining the popularity of the individual sets. Were they/are they sought after sets? Were they/are they a good investment as far as hobby trains go? I'd, also, like to know what these sets might be worth in today's train enthusiast market? Are there any websites that might help in figuring out the value of these sets?

I have myriad other questions, but, I'll begin with these. As I'm sure you're able to tell, I am a newbie when it comes to being a train enthusiast. I would like to become better informed so that I may realize more enjoyment in the hobby train arena. I enjoy many other hobbies (among them RC helicopters and planes - I'm a former military pilot) and would like to expand into hobby trains. Though I put up my TYCO HO scale Baltimore and Ohio 'The Royal Blue' set (that I received as a kid one Christmas) under the Christmas tree each year much to the wonderment of all visitors young an old, I think I like the larger scale better.

Thank you, in advance, for any help regarding my questions. And a very Merry Christmas/Happy Hannukah to all!

CanalZoneKid

Chuck N

I may be wrong, but I think that Bachmann only list items they have in current inventory and for sale.

A frequent contributor to this site is Loco Bill.  He has a data base of most Bachmann large scale products, past and present.  It won't be long until he sees your post.

As far as current value, you could try eBay and look for past sales.

Chuck

JerryB

Welcome to the hobby!

As written above, Bachmann only puts current items on their website.

The prices listed on Bachmann's website are MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price), and are heavily discounted in the real world. You need to find an on-line or local dealer to find availability and actual selling prices. I don't know of any on-line dealer charging MSRP. And these days, the brick and mortar hobby shops that charge MSRP are quickly disappearing.

Another resource in determining the current price of trains that are out of production is Ebay. Be certain to look at the auctions that have ended (meaning the price the item has actually sold for) rather than the open auctions where the seller frequently sets ridiculously high opening prices.

In general, model trains are toys, and do not appreciate in value. Recognize that these trains are mass produced in China. They are designed to be operated on our model railroads. Yesterday's hot seller is quickly outmoded by advancements in detail, technology and capability. Yes, there is always the story of someone finding a 1939 Lionel train in the attic, and selling it for $$$$$$. I am a lifetime model railroader, and have yet to meet anyone who has actually done that.

By all means, ask your questions here, but here are links to a couple of large scale train websites where there is an abundance of information on all aspects of LS trains:

Large Scale Central:
http://www.largescalecentral.com/pages/active

My Large Scale:
http://forums.mylargescale.com/portal.php?page=active_topics

BTW, A sincere thank you for your military service!

Happy (LS) Railroading,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

Hunt

*  Holiday Special Train and Trolley Set (2 sets in 1) is Bachmann item number 90054. It was made by Bachmann for and sold only by Sam's Club during the 2006 Christmas season.

Loco Bill Canelos

CZ kid,

Welcome to Large Scale!!!

When Bachmann makes a custom set exclusively for one retailer or specialty customer, they get a Bachmann product number, but never appear in the catalog.

Sam's Club must love you!!!  All the sets you have were initially made by Bachmann exclusively for Sam's Club and were not sold elsewhere except as noted below.  The prices they sold for were very low and the quality very high and they sold out fast.  Many hobbyist's bought y=the set just ot get the Anniversary locomotive included in them and repainted them in other than Christmas colors.  They were a heck of a good deal, the one with the leds were not popular to serious hobbyists, but some bought that set for parts.

The sets are not particularly valuable, but are more so new in the box if you decide to sell them.

Ebay is the great equalizer at to what folks will pay for a particular set.

There were more than one version of the Wonderland Flyer set 90047, but it was initially made just for Sam's, later Bachmann made a special set for Boscov's Dept Stores which was just a slightly different version of the one made for Sam's Club.  Even later Bachmann decided to add the Wonderland Flyer to their own product line and sell it through the usual hobby outlets and dealers.  They did not change the Bachmann product numbers on later WF sets which leads to much confusion.

90047*   NP&S   Wonderland Flyer    2004   Ltd Run   Mixed   1225   Annie   Green Gon with Xmas gifts    NP&S Box 30647   Combine NP&S 1
90047   Notes:   Limited Run for Sam's Club with Anniversary 4-6-0 Has the complex Walchaert,s valve gear 5000 Sets made for 2004 only. Green gondola has two wreaths on the side.

90041   NP&S   North Star Express   2005   Ltd Run   Pass   205   Ver 5   Combine # 8   Coach no #   8 Wheel Caboose no #
90051 Notes:      Limited Run for Sam's Club with Anniversary Wood burning 2-6-0 for 2005 only. Letterboard on cars is North Star Express                        

90054   NP&S   Holiday Special (Train & Trolley Set)   2006   Ltd Run   Pass   12   Annie   Coach NP&S no number   Observation NP&S no #   Trolley "Seasons Greetings" no #   
90054   Notes   2006 Sam's Club set Annie with Stepenson Valve gear straight stack coal burner 2 power packs 40 pieces of track 24 curved and 16 Straight Comes with a trolley no lights HH couplers                           

90061   NP&S   Northern Lights   2007   Ltd Run   Freight   12   Ver5   Gon NP&S #50807 Candy Cane   NP&S Reindeer Transport   Candy Cane Bobber Caboose
90061   Notes:   2007 Sam's Club Christmas set has gold Walshearts valve gear and LED colored lights on the Loco tender,and caboose.

The locomotive in the Northern Lights set was a standard line locomotive and not an Anniversary version.

The Wonderland flyer sold at Sam's Club for 139.95 and some were discounted lower.  At the time the cost of the Anniversary style locomotive alone was higher than that, so it was like getting everything else free.  The set with two transformers was $169 very good buy.

Have fun with your trains.

From one combat vet to another, Cheers & Beers!!!

Bill

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!