News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-6-0 Locomotive slipping

Started by eric5121, December 20, 2014, 06:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eric5121

Just got our Wonderland Flyer set running - 4-6-0 locomotive is slipping now. Wheels are not slipping, it seems to be internal. It will move forward and back, but I can hear the motor running faster than the drive wheels. Is there some maintenance I can do?

Chuck N

In all likely hood you have a broken gear on the drive axle.  The easiest and cheapest solution is to buy a new chassis from Bachmann. 

Chuck

eric5121

Thanks. Is this the case even if the train still moves?

eric5121

Took the bottom cover off and gears are fine. This is a 5th gen engine. The large gear is slipping on the drive axle. Need to secure it somehow.

Chuck N

Is the gear plastic or metal?  There have been problems with the plastic gears cracking and slipping.   

Bachmann sells replacement motor block assemblies for $30 or $50, depending on which one you need. It is easier to install the entire system than try to swap out the gear.

Chuck

Joe Zullo

Quote from: eric5121 on December 21, 2014, 04:35:18 AM
Took the bottom cover off and gears are fine. This is a 5th gen engine. The large gear is slipping on the drive axle. Need to secure it somehow.
For a temporary fix, try super gluing it to the axle.

Loco Bill Canelos

You may also want to try using two part epoxy glue or putty. that has worked better for me than superglue.  I much prefer the putty.  Becareful to maintain all necessary clearances so a glob of glue does not get in the way.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Kevin Strong

There's a healthy "hub" on the drive axle on the version 5 4-6-0, so if you want a permanent solution, you can drill across the hub through the axle and pin the gear in place. I'm working on a project that's using the 4-6-0 gearbox with new axles, and that's how I'm planning on keeping everything in place.

Later,

K

eric5121

Quote from: Kevin Strong on December 21, 2014, 07:19:45 PM
There's a healthy "hub" on the drive axle on the version 5 4-6-0, so if you want a permanent solution, you can drill across the hub through the axle and pin the gear in place. I'm working on a project that's using the 4-6-0 gearbox with new axles, and that's how I'm planning on keeping everything in place.

Later,

K

Yup - that's where I'm headed. I can see that the axle is splined, and the white gear is probably fluted to fit the splines, but its just too weak. Getting a small bit out to drill a hole through both and put a pin in place. Hopefully the pin won't dig into the plastic part of the gear - or actually the plastic shaft attached to the drive gear.

Hopefully I can grab some pics when I drill and pin it.