News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Large scale track layout

Started by jhp3, December 19, 2014, 05:56:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhp3

I purchased the Night Before Christmas train set. It comes with an oval track measuring approx. 5 x 4 ft. What additional tracks are required to layout a circular track with a 6 ft. diameter?

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi JHP

The easiest way is to add straight tracks until you get the diameter your need. Each straight track is about 1 foot long, so if my brain is not malfunctioning six pieces ought to do it!   You would still have square like oval, but the other solution if you want a strictly circular layout would be to buy all wider radius curved track. 

Joe or one of our other track experts may have better ideas and chime in.

Have fun with your train!!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Kevin Strong

I'm presuming your starter set came with the steel plate track that's common to Bachmann's starter sets, not solid brass track. If that's the case, adding short straights to get the loop of track to the appropriate size as Bill describes is your only option. That track only comes in 2' radius sections, so a wider radius circle (not just a square with round corners) can't be done.

If you want a wider-radius circle, then any of the sold brass track from the various manufacturers will work nicely. What I don't know is whether anyone has specifically 3' radius (6' diameter) curved track available.

Later,

K

armorsmith

As best I can tell, your brass options are:

USA Trains makes 5 foot diameter and 8 foot diameter circles and flex track

Train-Li markets flex track

Piko makes  5 foot diameter

Bachman does 5 foot diameter and 8 foot diameter

Flex track is somewhat of a misnomer in that for large radius it can be bent just like the prototype, push it over and secure it to the sub roadbed. For tighter curves, in the range you are looking to achieve, you will need to purchase a rail bender (highly recommend a dual rail bender, where both rails are bend at the same time).

Hope this helps.

Bob C.

tac

Quote from: armorsmith on December 19, 2014, 01:13:30 PM
As best I can tell, your brass options are:

USA Trains makes 5 foot diameter and 8 foot diameter circles and flex track

Train-Li markets flex track

Piko makes  5 foot diameter

Bachman does 5 foot diameter and 8 foot diameter

Flex track is somewhat of a misnomer in that for large radius it can be bent just like the prototype, push it over and secure it to the sub roadbed. For tighter curves, in the range you are looking to achieve, you will need to purchase a rail bender (highly recommend a dual rail bender, where both rails are bend at the same time).

Hope this helps.

Bob C.

Hmmm.  Two little problems with recommending flexi-track:

1.  It has to be cut and joined, not just bent.

2.  The Train-li dual track bender that you recommend prolly costs a deal more than the trainset.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

Though a bit late on my reply, I concur with Loco Bill in adding 6 straights to the 12 curves.

AnyRail.com Track CAD program shows that a pattern of (two curves, 1 straight) times 6, 

yields a rounded hexagon, major diameter of 71", and minor diameter of 68". 

Close enough?

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

armorsmith

TAC,
Please re-read my post, I did not recommend any 'BRAND' of dual rail bender, simply the purchase of one if tight curves were to be accomplished with flex track.
Bob C.

tac

Quote from: armorsmith on December 22, 2014, 12:31:28 AM
TAC,
Please re-read my post, I did not recommend any 'BRAND' of dual rail bender, simply the purchase of one if tight curves were to be accomplished with flex track.
Bob C.

Point taken, thank you.  I can't find prices right now, but even the defunct [?] Aristocraft version was around the two-hundred dollar mark, when it was readily available.

tac