News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Derailment

Started by Jerseybus, December 18, 2014, 11:12:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerseybus

Hello,
I just set up my Bachmann ho scale Pacific flyer under the tree.
Problem is,  when  the locomotive comes around the rerailer piece, the front wheel often get derailed. This is more common at moderate and faster speeds, but I can observe it slightly at very slow speeds. Pulling cars behind it also does not seem to help, but also doesn't seem to have a significant effect on the situation.

Any ideas how to help keep  the wheels down on the track, especially in front?
Thanks for your help!

jward

look carefully at the track joint. is one of the rails not seated inside the rail joiner? this will cause a bump in the rail that you can feel by running your finger over the joint. if this is the case, take the track sections apart and carefully put them back together, making sure the rail goes inside the joiner this time.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jerseybus

Thanks for the response. I had this issue elsewhere, with typical track-track connections, and was able to correct as you suggested.
However, this issue at the rerailer seems like a solid connection. It seems like part  of the problem is that the rerailer is  slightly elevated compared to the rest of the track, and the locomotive doesn't follow the very slight decline down to the typical track??

jbrock27

Jersey, if you search this forum, you will find you are not the only one to have had a problem with a Bachmann Rerailer.  I am not sure others who had this problem ever found a fix for the rerailer itself.

Others have had Bachmann steam locos that needed to have the underside of the chaisis grounded down a bit bc the hump created there, was what was hanging up on the rerailer.  After taking some of the metal material away, the problem went away.

I hope this helps.
Keep Calm and Carry On

trainmainbrian

Take the re railer out completely & just use a regular section of track in that area of your layout under the tree... At least that's what I would do
If your not thinking of Model Railroading each day you must be having a bad day.....& do not leave your mind @ the station...

Irbricksceo

The locomotive is a USRA 0-6-0 right? Try what Jbrock mentioned if so. Take a small file and grind the hump on the bottom down a little. I'm pretty sure Jonathan did a post about it at one point, he loves 0-6-0's
Modeling NYC in N

Doneldon

Jersey-

When you mentioned that one side of your rerailer track seemed to be "elevated" I couldn't help wondering if one of your rails is correctly fitted but the high one has the foot of the high rail on top of the rail joiner rather than inside of it. It's very difficult to notice this visually unless you get right down to track level and inspect carefully. Check this out. 0-6-0s are pretty difficult to derail on properly laid track.
                                                                                                                                                                                    -- D

rogertra

Quote from: Doneldon on December 18, 2014, 06:49:23 PM
Jersey-

When you mentioned that one side of your rerailer track seemed to be "elevated" I couldn't help wondering if one of your rails is correctly fitted but the high one has the foot of the high rail on top of the rail joiner rather than inside of it. It's very difficult to notice this visually unless you get right down to track level and inspect carefully. Check this out. 0-6-0s are pretty difficult to derail on properly laid track.
                                                                                                                                                                                    -- D

Or, just lightly run a finger along the railhead, that's another way to see if the rail is sitting on top rather then inside the rail joiner.  If you feel a bump, then your rail is not inside the rail joiner.

Cheers

Roger T.

jbrock27

When you mentioned that one side of your rerailer track seemed to be "elevated"...

Doc, I did not see Jersey Boy describe it this way.  I am betting he is is describing the middle of the rerailer as being "elevated".

I am pretty sure you are right Brick, bc it was Jonathon I was thinking of with the 0-6-0 "hump" fix.

Your suggestion Roger is the easiest way to tell. It's what I do to make sure.

Never have had this problem with Atlas rerailers.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerseybus

Thanks to all for helpful respones! There is no bump or irregularity so I think I have the connections right... I will try the filing technique tonight and see if that helps...

jbrock27

You're welcome and good luck.  I hope you get it figured out.
Keep Calm and Carry On