STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 10, 2020, 08:51:21 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the photo gallery link above or >click here< to see photos of recently announced products!
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  Large
| | |-+  4-6-0 Locomotive slipping
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 4-6-0 Locomotive slipping  (Read 3180 times)
eric5121

View Profile
« on: December 20, 2014, 07:52:54 PM »

Just got our Wonderland Flyer set running - 4-6-0 locomotive is slipping now. Wheels are not slipping, it seems to be internal. It will move forward and back, but I can hear the motor running faster than the drive wheels. Is there some maintenance I can do?
Chuck N

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 08:02:20 PM »

In all likely hood you have a broken gear on the drive axle.  The easiest and cheapest solution is to buy a new chassis from Bachmann. 

Chuck
eric5121

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 02:23:24 AM »

Thanks. Is this the case even if the train still moves?
eric5121

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 05:35:18 AM »

Took the bottom cover off and gears are fine. This is a 5th gen engine. The large gear is slipping on the drive axle. Need to secure it somehow.
Chuck N

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 08:00:33 AM »

Is the gear plastic or metal?  There have been problems with the plastic gears cracking and slipping.   

Bachmann sells replacement motor block assemblies for $30 or $50, depending on which one you need. It is easier to install the entire system than try to swap out the gear.

Chuck
Joe Zullo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 09:21:48 AM »

Took the bottom cover off and gears are fine. This is a 5th gen engine. The large gear is slipping on the drive axle. Need to secure it somehow.
For a temporary fix, try super gluing it to the axle.
Loco Bill Canelos

Model railroading since 1947

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 02:02:15 PM »

You may also want to try using two part epoxy glue or putty. that has worked better for me than superglue.  I much prefer the putty.  Becareful to maintain all necessary clearances so a glob of glue does not get in the way.

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway Missouri Western Railway
Semi Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!
Kevin Strong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 08:19:45 PM »

There's a healthy "hub" on the drive axle on the version 5 4-6-0, so if you want a permanent solution, you can drill across the hub through the axle and pin the gear in place. I'm working on a project that's using the 4-6-0 gearbox with new axles, and that's how I'm planning on keeping everything in place.

Later,

K

eric5121

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 11:35:17 PM »

There's a healthy "hub" on the drive axle on the version 5 4-6-0, so if you want a permanent solution, you can drill across the hub through the axle and pin the gear in place. I'm working on a project that's using the 4-6-0 gearbox with new axles, and that's how I'm planning on keeping everything in place.

Later,

K

Yup - that's where I'm headed. I can see that the axle is splined, and the white gear is probably fluted to fit the splines, but its just too weak. Getting a small bit out to drill a hole through both and put a pin in place. Hopefully the pin won't dig into the plastic part of the gear - or actually the plastic shaft attached to the drive gear.

Hopefully I can grab some pics when I drill and pin it.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: